The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
New Goat Owner
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone,

One of my little goats has suddenly had a lump appear below his left ear. I noticed it about 2 days ago. He is only about 1-1/2 years old, and has not shown any signs of illness or being off food or anything - he's acting totally normal. It is a hard lump, no softness to it at all. It hasn't changed size since I found it a couple days ago. It's not hot or anything - just a bump.

I thought at first that maybe he was playing too rough with his brothers, but I'm not sure.

We're booking a vet appointment to get it looked at next week, but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas? Thanks.

Rhonda

Attachments

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I'm sorry to be bearer of bad news, but that is undoubtedly a CL abscess. If he were mine, I would wait to book the appointment until the hair started coming off and it got soft. When that happens, take him to the vet and have it lanced and cleaned out. Follow the directions of your vet, but isolate him from the rest of your goats until it has healed completely. He may or may not develop another one. Regardless of whether he does or not, he will always be infected with CL.

·
New Goat Owner
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can it affect other animals than goats? I'm just thinking about where to isolate him. I have horses and donkeys and a dog too.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
No. According to what I've read, goats cannot infect horses or donkeys. As far as I know, dogs cannot get CL. The biggest issue is to not let it burst on your property. If that happens you are looking at a long-term problem with all the rest of your goats.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts

·
New Goat Owner
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the link. It does look like it could be in the right location for a salivary gland abscess. I've booked Winston in to see the vet on Thursday morning next week so hopefully we can sort it out. Winny is a pet so I want to do everything I can to treat it, whatever it is!!

·
New Goat Owner
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great news!!!! Winny went to see the vet today and it isn't CL!!! It is just a regular old run-of-the-mill abscess. He lanced it and drained it and now Winny is on antibiotics and I have to flush it until it heals up (plus we'll do laser therapy on it as my sister does laser for horses). I'm soooooooo happy!!!!!!! The vet thinks he maybe got into some foxtail and that caused it so I will be scouring their pen for signs of foxtail after work. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts