goat with abscess

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kerthomp, May 29, 2018.

1. kerthomp

kerthomp New Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Hello:

We took our pygmy doe Zoey to the vet a week ago because she had a growth appear overnight. We were freaked out and worried it might be CL. The vet took a couple of samples by syringe and they were all clear fluid. We were very relieved. The vet indicated it was probably just inflamed from an injury and said we didn't need to quarantine. Well, today we got up to find the growth had ruptured and had white pus coming out of it. I have attached a picture. I am now completely freaked out. She has not been quarantined because the vet told us it wasn't necessary. She is going back to the vet later this afternoon to get a culture. Anyone with experience have a guess as to what this is? Could it be CL even though previous samples were completely clear fluid?

The vet has now suggested we quarantine her. What is acceptable for quarantine? We have 4 goats total and they are always with each other. We have the barn split into 2 pens. Would it be acceptable to stick Zoey in one pen by herself? The other goats would have an adjoining wall made out of wood and and a metal grid. Would that be okay or does she need to be completely separate like in a different building? I know she is going to have a complete meltdown about being in a separate pen so I can only imagine her distress if stuck in a different building alone.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Oh dear, I'm so sorry your post got missed.

How is Zoey now? Did you get any test results back on the pus?

Unfortunately that is definitely a CL location. Hopefully you were able to get the abcess completely flushed out in sterile way without pus all over the barn.

The is not a death sentence, she may never get another abcess in her life. But if you breed and sell kids, you should consider your plans. With pus getting on the barn/soil/bedding all goats on the property may be exposed.

3. kerthomp

kerthomp New Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Thanks for your response. Zoey is doing much better. We did get culture results back and it turned out to be a Staph infection. The vet thought for sure it was likely CL, so we immediately quarantined her. She was on penicillin and had her abscess flushed with betadine twice a day.

She did not like being quarantined and went on somewhat of a hunger strike. We aren't sure whether the medicine was upsetting her stomach or if she was upset being separated or a combination of the two. Her wound has now dried up and is healing so the vet gave her the clear to go back with her friends and she is now eating like a champ again. We are keeping a close eye on everyone and hoping we don't have a repeat of any issues.

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Glad it wasn't CL.

5. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Wow! That is very fortunate