The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, we've got this doe that was due for her first kidding. A few days before, she started favoring one of her back feet. Well, last Tuesday she kidded and that back foot swelled up to 2 or 3 times. My wife put a poltice on it and wrapped it up good. Well, today I noticed that the wrapping had come off and there is an open wound just above her foot and there was a maggot in it. So, we washed it down with idodine, twice, and put some stuff on it and wrapped it up good.

The first question is what could have caused this?

The second question is I think we ought to give her an antibiotic. What shot can we give her that will still allow her to nurse?

·
14,615 Posts
Flush it with weak Betadine or Chorahexine (I think that's what it's called) You can also flush with lactated ringers. No more iodine.
It needs air so dont wrap it.
I like to add a cc or two of Pen G right into the wound on a daily basis until it looks like it's healing up; that is no puss or blood while flushing.
She can be put on 5 days or so injected Pen G as well.

correction; enough Pen to fill the wound, hopefully way less than 1 cc

·
730 Posts
I agree 100% with The GREAT ADVICE offered by "Nancy D" on treatment...and I also would Let it air out as much as possible ...
Best of luck with it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It was washed with betadine, not iodine. Due to the maggot, pus and bleeding, I put nitrofurazone on it and covered with saline soaked padding and covered with vet wrap to keep any other pests out. If it was winter, I would agree that it needs top stay uncovered, but being fly season and they are bad here right now, it will have to stay covered. I also felt it was necessary to cover with saline padding to help pull out the rest of the gunk and swelling.

What antibiotic can I give that us safe for a doe that is nursing a new kid.

·
730 Posts
I don't know if your familiar with "SWAT" or not..??.. They sell it at TSC and it works great keeping the flies out! Maybe you could put a little around the wound..or better yet..>> How about like a hair net?? If you can figure a way to get a hair net..or beard net to stay on ...that would keep the insects out of it and let fresh air in! This is one of the headaches of dealing with wounds/sores in the summer time v/s winter.. BEST of Luck!

·
Registered
436 Posts
We have one with an. Open wound now too, I has it packed for a few days but now it's open and I spray the area with a fly spray once a day no issues with maggots for us

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

·
Registered
36 Posts
Goat update: the next day when changing bandage and cleaning wound, I found that she now had a large (about six inches) open wound that was full of white pus and more maggots. She also has a fever of 104.5. I immediately called the vet. He told me to give banamine and naxel and rebandage after cleaning with nitrofurazone. I took her in the next morning. They removed the dead tissue and kept her over night. I picked her up the next afternoon and was told to wash and change bandage daily spray with scarlet oil and continued antibiotics.

When I went to changed the bandage today, it had a horrible smell, the bone seemed to be broken and there was no protective tissue. I could see all ligaments, bones, etc. and there is more red swollen tissue in new areas. I washed and bandaged as directed and continues with antibiotics.

Now, I am up in the middle of the night because I can't shake the image and smell of that leg. The image of that leg woke me up in the middle of the night. I do not have a weak stomach and have seen some intense stuff. I saved a horse Grimm a bullet when he cut OP pen his knee. You could see the bones of the knee and torn ligaments and muscles. (I fixed him and he is now in a good home by the way.) That did not bother me in the slightest, but it never looked and smelled like this leg.

I am obviously taking her back to the vet in the morning. Still nursing her kid and eating. Any thoughts until the vet opens?

·
2,203 Posts
With fly strike, always keep fly spray around. Spray her poor leg and the wrapping around that wound. Chances are the eggs of the fly were just hatching. Make sure you get all the maggots out. Use saline and tweezers and gently pull out. I would put iodine on the wound to cleanse, and keep wrapped and fly sprayed till the vet comes. Start on heavy antibiotic, such as LA200 and give a dose of banamine or aspirin.

ETA: I use a 50/50 iodine saline as my wound care go-to.

·
Registered
31,462 Posts
Could she have got on bit my a brown recluse or simular spider that causeing flesh decay?
http://brown-recluse-spider.ascendedhealth.com/brown-recluse-spider-bite-pictures.htm

I have an image in my head of a goat with her whole jaw exposed do to Brown recluse..I will try to find that article..

I would think stronger antibiotic then Pen is needed..she looks like shes going ot loose that leg...you are doing great in keepingit clean..I would wrap in a guaze type material to allow air flow..

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had not thought of spider bite. We are heavy in brown recluse and black widows here. Could be either. I was thinking snake but the progression makes much more sense. I called the vet. My regular vet was not there. The vet that was there is great with cattle and dogs, but i won't let him touch my horses, and had gotten bad advice from him when i only had a pet goat and didn't know much about their care so i was leery. He said to put Koppertox on it and leave it uncovered. I said you understand that this is not her Hoof right and he said yes. He said i could bring her in, but i decided with that advice i should wait until Monday when my good goat vet was there. A vet tech friend with 20 plus years of experience with large animal care suggested Vetricyn over scarlet oil. Still washed and covered as before. This is what it looked like today before Vetricyn but after washing. Was completely covered in pus before washing. I am at a loss of what else to do. Very said to continue with naxel through yesterday, but I am going to continue until he sees her again. I have been taking her temp and only giving her banamine when she had a fever since she has a Young kid at her side. I agree that he will probably end up having to take it off, but I am trying to do everything I can to avoid it.

Assuming it is a spider bite, what should I do differently? Could this also be the reason one of the kids was still born?

Attachments

·
Registered
436 Posts
Personally I would soak gaze in an Iodine saline solution and pack the wound I'd clean it out twice a day Irrigate the hell out of it, flush with the iodine solution then pack it, banamine would be kind o you because it's going to hurt like no other once packed wrap with gaze

·
Registered
436 Posts
Ps that's what is do to a human as a medic sooo if that's wrong advice for a goat sorry at the very lease flush twice a day and give clean bandage

·
Boer Lover 4 Life!
2,991 Posts
Poor girl! I hope you get some good advice from your vet. I hope it doesn't have to be removed.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Some of my goats had trouble with their feet like that non ever had maggots but its caused by a bacteria living in moist areas. Just spray on healmax on the wound about 3 squirts directly on the wound and it will heal in less than 3 days. Healmax is green and comes in a spray bottle.

·
Registered
31,462 Posts
I have not found that article with the Brown recluse bite...Im still looking because it had treatment...Im hopeing your vet will be able to help her tomorrow..I would give 1-2 adult aspirin to help with her pain..Im sure it hurts..best wishes

1 - 20 of 24 Posts