Goat with cloudy eye, what do I do?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Charles Patterson, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Charles Patterson

Charles Patterson New Member

Aug 14, 2018
    Checked on our goats today and saw that it is cloudy. Suggestions on what to do from here?

[​IMG]

2. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    It could be pink eye, which is contageous. I did a quick search here on the site and found the following recommended treatment: First wash the eye area with warm water...then flush with tylan 200 or LA 200 just draw about 1 cc per eye..remove needle and flush each eye that is infected, 2 x a day until clear...it is important to keep the eye are clean...If this is left untreated the eye will get an ulcer ( a red lump ) this can cause permanent damage and blindness..

You should be able to get the antibiotic at Tractor Supply or your local feed store.

toth boer goats likes this.
  3. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    We had a run of pink eye this summer
    For the worst ones we gave an injection of LA 200 and flushed the eye with LA 200
    We gave the injection daily for 3 days and then every other day a couple more times
    Flushed twice a day
    It does burn in the eye but it works
    Keep an eye on your others
    If you see them start to squint and eye watering flush the eye

4. Morr

Morr Member

Aug 13, 2018
    It could be pink eye, which, as previously stated is contagious to both humans and other goats. Or it could be a small injury, which seems pretty common in goats. With my goats I use teramyacin when I see an injury to prevent infection, but it can also treat an infection. I've not had pink eye in my goats, but it also works for pink eye, humans and animals.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Treat for pinkeye in case.