The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I am fairly new to goat farming and I've got a 6 yr old oberhasli that has been up and down in health. Recently the fur around her mouth is a little sparse and her poops are a bit liquid. She gets better and then seems to get worse again about every two weeks or so. Her FAMACHA is normal and her gums are pink. She's eating fine and activity level seems normal. In the past when I cut grain she seems to do a bit better but she's also smaller than I wish she would be. Thoughts?

Edit for anyone who sees this post, she has Johnes but also tested positive for Giardia. In regards to the negative tested goats our vet recommended some alfalfa but said to not touch the minerals as they get minerals on their grain from the mill. So if you've got a slightly skinny goat with problems test for Johnes. If they're negative we were recommended alfalfa because we have all girls.

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
Wekcime to the forum. What color poops? Has she had a recent fecal done? Definitely post a picture. List food minerals and such as suggested above.
Does she chew her cud well?

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Administrator
85,534 Posts
A fecal for cocci and worms would be a good start, to see where she is at.

Check for lice/mites.

Make sure she has loose salt and minerals free choice.

A pic may help more. ;)

·
8,472 Posts
A good Famacha score is a good thing- but, it is only a tool. It can tell you that your goat has barber pole worms. They are the bloodsuckers.
Other parasites cause other problems- loose stool, lack of energy, thinness, constant eating and never gaining weight, etc. A lot of times, even
a fecal doesn't tell the real story- the worms only shed eggs at certain times- so a clean fecal test doesn't necessarily mean your parasites are under
control- they may be numerous and haven't layed eggs, today.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has she been tested for Johne's?
What is her diet (hay, grain, minerals, etc.)?
A photo of her might be helpful.
Not that I know of but I can check with the farm that I got her from. They've got hay and then 6 cups of grain a day four in the morning and two in the afternoon. Shes got a himalayan salt lick but no other minerals. I might get a goat block. I'm not sure how to upload photos on here I'll try to figure that out. You can see her ribs from about a five foot distance but the farm I got her from said that's normal for her. She was milking about 4ibs in the morning and 2 in the afternoon when I first got her back in July and I think they weaned her kid in May and now she's down to 1ib in the morning and .5 in the afternoon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wekcime to the forum. What color poops? Has she had a recent fecal done? Definitely post a picture. List food minerals and such as suggested above.
Does she chew her cud well?
Her poops are a normal darker brown theyre just very watery about every two weeks, lasts for a couple days, this is a pattern I've just recognized so I still kind of need to see if it continues. If it does, what is the best time to do a fecal? Food and minerals in the previous reply. She chews her cud well. Thanks for the welcome!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A good Famacha score is a good thing- but, it is only a tool. It can tell you that your goat has barber pole worms. They are the bloodsuckers.
Other parasites cause other problems- loose stool, lack of energy, thinness, constant eating and never gaining weight, etc. A lot of times, even
a fecal doesn't tell the real story- the worms only shed eggs at certain times- so a clean fecal test doesn't necessarily mean your parasites are under
control- they may be numerous and haven't layed eggs, today.
Yes, so if I'm noticing a pattern where it seems like the parasite populations are fluctuating (like I stated above about every two weeks I see a change in stool consistency) What would be a good time to get a fecal? Should I try for when the poop is least solid or right before I expect that to happen?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A fecal for cocci and worms would be a good start, to see where she is at.

Check for lice/mites.

Make sure she has loose salt and minerals free choice.

A pic may help more. ;)
She had something right before I got her, fleas or mites, and so the previous owner shaved her down. She's got loose salt I might work on minerals. A pic of her or the poop? What is a good time to do a fecal if I'm noticing a pattern?

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
I would send a fecal in now. Even if watery, they can do it. Need to see what's going on there. How's her famacha? Temp?
Definitely get a quality loose mineral for her.
Is she your only goat?

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,169 Posts
The cycle she is haveing is pretty.consistent to the cycle of egg laying in worms. Also the shedding of the eggs can cause watery diarrhea. I would send a fecal in to find out which worm is the heaviest, and get that dewormer in her, that kills that specie of worm.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
That is definitely not normal to be able to see her ribs like that. How is her coat condition? Is she getting probiotics daily? I wouldn't give her grain if she is scouring, grain can make it worse. Hay, green leaves, and browse are good. Hay pellets are also fine to give (alfalfa, timothy, orchard, etc). What kind of hay is she getting?

A salt lick is good, but goats need loose minerals too. They can't get enough from a mineral block. Do you have a local Tractor Supply or similar feed store? Purina goat mineral is good, that's what we use. Another option is Purina Wind and Rain Storm.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is definitely not normal to be able to see her ribs like that. How is her coat condition? Is she getting probiotics daily? I wouldn't give her grain if she is scouring, grain can make it worse. Hay, green leaves, and browse are good. Hay pellets are also fine to give (alfalfa, timothy, orchard, etc). What kind of hay is she getting?

A salt lick is good, but goats need loose minerals too. They can't get enough from a mineral block. Do you have a local Tractor Supply or similar feed store? Purina goat mineral is good, that's what we use. Another option is Purina Wind and Rain Storm.
She has Johnes. We're culling her this week. After this advice we got fecal and then reran that fecal as well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts