Goat with cracked horn

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by erica4481, Aug 11, 2013.

1. erica4481

erica4481 Active Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Georgia
    I noticed earlier that my doe Posie has cracked her horn middle way up all the way around it. It's not bleeding. It wiggles a little but not much. Is it likely that its going to completely break off ?

2. TDG-Farms

TDG-Farms Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State

Jul 12, 2013
    lol and the first thing that went through my brain... Billy crack horn and I dont care :)

A pic if you could to see where the crack is and how big would be great.

3. erica4481

erica4481 Active Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Georgia
    Lol :D .....ok I'll go get one.

4. erica4481

erica4481 Active Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Georgia
    image-4243879011.jpg

It's really not very visible in pics. But I can move it a little and can see pink in between the cracks all the way around it. I let my bucks out today and the does have been showing off and butting heads with each other. That's how it got broke.

Attached Files:

5. erica4481

erica4481 Active Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Georgia
    If you can see the tiny white speck that's where it's cracked around it at

6. TDG-Farms

Jul 12, 2013
    Nope, you did good on the pics. Your right it is a hard crack to see but I can see it. Its down a bit further then I was hoping but even there it shouldnt be to much of an issue if she breaks it off totally. It may bleed a little bit but at least there shouldnt be down far enough to get into the hollow part of the horn. When a horn breaks that far down it can be a pain in the butt. And id give it nearly a 100% chance that it will break off. The next time she is in a good fight or if she likes to use em on fences or what have you, it will probably break the rest of the way off. Just keep an eye on it.

7. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

Oh man, what a bummer! hey, if you could keep it on, would it heal back to what it was?

8. erica4481

erica4481 Active Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Georgia
    If and when it breaks ....is there anything I should do to it. Any kind of medicine or put a bandage on it or something ?

9. erica4481

erica4481 Active Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Georgia
    I was wondering the same thing

10. TDG-Farms

Jul 12, 2013
    I have never heard of a horn growing back together, so Id have to say nope. Lots of people use super glue to kinda fill in the crack and hold it together but super glue is crap when trying to hold 2 movable objects together and to keep them from moving. Not to mention, one good butt on just about anything and it will break the super glue. An epoxy might would hold it a bit longer but I think in the end its just going to break.

11. erica4481

erica4481 Active Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Georgia
    I checked her horn out today. It is still very much cracked but it seems to have tightened up. It's not wiggly anymore. Hopefully it doesn't break off.

12. loggyacreslivestock

loggyacreslivestock Well-Known Member

Maybe use vet wrap on it? Can't hurt to try to save it and hope it grows back together...

13. erica4481

erica4481 Active Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Georgia
    I guess it can't hurt to try it :)

14. Bayouslug

Bayouslug New Member

Mar 22, 2012
    South East Texas
    Before you vet wrap it, apply some supper glue to the crack, like a sealant.....they use it on humans in surgery now a days in place of stitches. Cut a piece of pipe insulation then wrap it (redneck splint)......

15. erica4481

erica4481 Active Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Georgia
    Well I thought all was well with her cracked horn, but she must have had a squabble with one of the others. It is now broke pretty bad and very wobbly. Her head is covered in blood. The blood seems to have stopped for the moment. Is there anything I can do? Could I put a band around where it is broken at or is it best to leave it alone??

16. erica4481

erica4481 Active Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Georgia
    Should I take her to the vet tomorrow and have the broken part removed? It has to be painful :(

17. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Is it bad enough that you could just pull it off? Can you post a picture?

A vet visit may not be a bad thing.

18. erica4481

erica4481 Active Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Georgia
    No I don't think I can pull it off. It's broke about half way up. I'm scared to mess with it. I don't want to cause any more bleeding that I may not be able to stop. Dont know how true it is but I read a few things on it that said its possible for them to bleed out from it..it's dark now so I will post pics in the morning to see what you think.

19. lottsagoats

lottsagoats Junior Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Middle Maine
    They make acrylic hoof bondo for horses. That would work on a horn to an extent if the crack was bigger. Not sure if it would work on such a thin crack.

20. TDG-Farms

Jul 12, 2013
    Was thinking maybe you could fiber glass it but am not sure if horns need to breath. I mean some people put band on horns to remove them so it couldnt be too good for it. I would also guess a vet would be in order if you dont have a wire saw and a dis budding iron. It needs to be cut at the break and then burned to stop the bleeding. If you dont have the stuff or think you dont have the stomach for it, then it shouldnt be to much for a vet to do it. Under a 100 bucks. If you find a vet that wants to charge more then that, Id keep looking.