The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got our two goats, Ruby and Susan on July 28th of this year, so we have not had them for more than a month yet.

Our goats are brush eaters and have been doing amazingly well with their transition to our family (they are our only two and they are our first set of goats). Ruby and Susan are sisters and were originally raised for meat, but we didn't want them for meat. We wanted them for brush. Since we've brought them home, they've done very well with brush eating. They are each about 150 lbs, so they're tall and big girls. They were very healthy when we brought them home and have really thrived here, we feel! We love them very much! :)

Susan has had diarrhea and today marks day 3. TMI, but her poop has ranged from bright green to brown. There is no fresh poop for us to look at, but judging what is on her tail and rear end, that's what we can see. However, it does not smell. Her demeanor hasn't changed. She is still eating, still drinking and still wanting to love on us! She is still chewing cud and eating brush.

Because we are first time goat owners, we don't know what is causing the diarrhea. We have been going over the last three days and the only things that are different that we have fed her are pumpkin leaves and an apple as a treat.

Are there any remedies for diarrhea that have been successful for anyone? Does anyone know what might be causing the diarrhea? Does she have worms? Is this something is very serious? Is she in pain? We want to help her and have done research online, but have been given different answers as to what might be causing it.

If there is anyone that can help us with our sweet Susan, we would surely appreciate it!

Thank you so much in advance! :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
pumpkin leaves at this time of year almost always have a whitish mold/fungus on them!! seeds are fine but not the leaves. give her some pepto. if you can get some cdt anti toxin (not toxoid) and treat her with that. you can have a fecal done on her for coccidia but i think your culprit is pumpkin leaves

·
Super Moderator
83,692 Posts
What kind of goats are they?

How much has their diet changed from where they were? If it is really different,
I would back off on time out to graze and gradually increase daily until the get use to it. Feed a little hay such as oat hay or equivalent, before letting them out.
If it is from feed change,pepto every 6 hours until scours are no more. If you see a dry butt, stop and watch.

CD antitoxin is OK to give in case.

Probiotics and fortified vit B for their rumen.

With All feeds,that a goat is not use tom always feed in moderation, over feeding new feeds, start scouring and upset.

Also the stress from the move, can cause worms and cocci to explode. Getting a fecal on the worse one, will let you know. So you can treat if needed.
Check their gums and lower inner eye lid, if they are pale or nice pink

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don't know about the pumpkin leaves but I would not give them any more of it. If they are still eating and happy they will be fine a couple of days after they stop eating the cause plant. Ours get it from mesquite leaves. The mesquite pods are great but the leaves cause problems. Some of the goats eat a little but others pig out and quirt for a few days

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
since they weigh 150 lbs. i would give them 2 tablespoons or 30 cc the same as an adult person. it should only take a couple of doses to slow the diarrhea, just remember pepto will turn their poop black! check her eyelids if pale or white she needs to be wormed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts