Goat with hurt hoof/limp

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Gingir, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Gingir

Gingir New Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Hi, I'm still new to raising goats. We tore down an older barn and rebuilt a new one. I thought I'd gotten all the nails picked up but must have missed one. My billy goat ended up with a roofing nail in the back part of his front hoof. I pulled it out and doused it with iodine.

It's been about 2 weeks and he's still limping some. The hoof looks good. No swelling or heat. There is of course still the hole where the nail penetrated. He's up to date on his tetanus shot and has no other ailments. Hoof is trimmed, no separation or anything that I could blame the limp on.

Do you think the nail hole just needs to heal over before he stops limping? He's putting weight on it, but he's just babying it. That's not stopping him from playing "king of the mountain" or anything. Is there something else I should be doing for it?

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I had a goat do the same thing. I would clean it twice a day, and it took a few weeks for the hole to go away in my goat also. It is a very hard area and it will just take time.

3. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Keep it dry and clean. If you notice him to be acting "off" check his temp. It sounds good so far. Good luck.

Gina

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others..... :thumb: :hi5:

5. hphorses

hphorses New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Waldron, SK. Canada
    Could very well be an abscess coming from the puncture wound.. You may want to soak his hoof in a warm epsom salts bath.

Tara

6. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I'd only add to make sure he's up on his tetanus. :wink:

7. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    If it's an abscess, I'd do what HPhorses suggested, soak it in warm epsom salt for as long as you can <20 minutes I think would be real good>, I'd do this 2x a day, or at least when I worked with horses, this is what we had to do.
    You can also use hoof packs to draw out an abscess. We used a poultice called 'Animalintex' I am telling you, this stuff is GOOD :) It's a pad - cut it as big as you need, put it over the foot and tape it on w/duct tape.

Years ago, when I worked with horses, we had a mare step on a fence nail and went up into her foot. It was bad. It didn't help that we were treating her EXACTLY as the vet instructed, and she wasn't getting any better - come to find out she wasn't on the RIGHT MEDS!
    I can't remember what we had her on, but she got a couple of things every day, and we soaked her foot 30 minutes in the morning and afternoon.

Only thing I can think of is, if you try this and get no improvement, I'd contact a vet and see what can be done?