The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
I am having something very odd going on. I recently deworm my goats because of bottle jaw.
Now 2 of my goats have heavy dark brown diarrea and their faces and body seem very inflamed even her belly, eyes and head. It doesn't seem to be bottle jaw . Do you guys have any idea what this inflammation with diarreah be?? Thank you

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Possible reaction to treatment. Give Benadryl to both. Can you post a picture of them?
What dewormer and treatment did they get and what doses? Are they still in anemia protocol?
Get their temps.

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Possible reaction to treatment. Give Benadryl to both. Can you post a picture of them?
What dewormer and treatment did they get and what doses? Are they still in anemia protocol?
Get their temps.
I gave them 4 to 5 cc of Valvazen for 3 days . I measured 4.5 cc per 25 pound of Cydentin Sheep drench only for day 1.
Injection of Iron on day 1 3cc to each goat plus 6 cc to each goat of vitamin B - Complex
Red Cell 6 cc on day 2 to each goat
Vitamin B 12 Oral on day 2
Thiamine 3 cc yesterday to the one with face and body inflammation.
Can I give them Zyrtec instead because I don't have Benadryl? And what would be the dosage?
I will post the picture now.

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
I have seen this before,, Sometimes fluid can accumulated in the belly. This is serious. It's called ascites. It happenes when the liver is damaged, often due to liverfluke. It is a result if low protien in the blood just like bottle jaw.

Here is a copy of some I found on that.
If they are eating well, feed high protien feed, browse, alfalfa and a quality loose mineral. Also a good liver detox may help...dandelion helps with that. I'll look up some more herbs that can help. But dandelion can be purchased in capsule form at most health food stores if you don't have them growing around your place.
I'm going to see if I can find more info on this Condition and how best to deal with it.

A vet of course would be ideal

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have seen this before,, Sometimes fluid can accumulated in the belly. This is serious. It's called ascites. It happenes when the liver is damaged, often due to liverfluke. It is a result if low protien in the blood just like bottle jaw.

Here is a copy of some I found on that.
If they are eating well, feed high protien feed, browse, alfalfa and a quality loose mineral. Also a good liver detox may help...dandelion helps with that. I'll look up some more herbs that can help. But dandelion can be purchased in capsule form at most health food stores if you don't have them growing around your place.
I'm going to see if I can find more info on this Condition and how best to deal with it.

A vet of course would be ideal
No Vets on my area are willing to come. Only one just tell his secretary to let me know that I can just give them coccidia treatment and that he can't help me because he is busy. Thank you for your help 🙏

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Ascites (accumulation of fluid in the abdomen)
Abdominal swelling due to fluid occurs as a result of liver damage associated with liver fluke. Like bottle-jaw, it is the result of low protein in the blood causing body fluids to be out of balance and fluid builds up in the abdominal cavity.

This is just one of many causes of edema. But seems most likely since they dis/do have bottle jaw. Treating for coccidia seems far fetched idea for edema. I wouldn't want to out more chemicals in their body on a whim. I would collect fresh fecal and mail to meadowmistlabs for a complete profile on what and how many parasites still lerk. Definitely pay and extra 6 bucks for a liver fluke fecal. Test is done a little different.

How are they doing? Eating and drinking ok? Doesn't seem in pain? Lethargic? What are their temps. When were they last dewormed?

Keep up with anemia protocol until famacha color is much improved.
Iron supplement daily for a week then once a week until color improves. If after a week of daily they are still quite pale, do ano t her week of daily before going once a week.
Daily B 12 or b complex
30 cc of a 50/50 mix of ACV/water daily
High protien feed, food ( ex: a few raw peanuts with shell as a treat), browse and alfalfa along with quality loose minerals.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
I found that Zyrtec is safe for goats but found no dosage. If they were mine,, I might do one adult pill and see how they do before giving more.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ascites (accumulation of fluid in the abdomen)
Abdominal swelling due to fluid occurs as a result of liver damage associated with liver fluke. Like bottle-jaw, it is the result of low protein in the blood causing body fluids to be out of balance and fluid builds up in the abdominal cavity.

This is just one of many causes of edema. But seems most likely since they dis/do have bottle jaw. Treating for coccidia seems far fetched idea for edema. I wouldn't want to out more chemicals in their body on a whim. I would collect fresh fecal and mail to meadowmistlabs for a complete profile on what and how many parasites still lerk. Definitely pay and extra 6 bucks for a liver fluke fecal. Test is done a little different.

How are they doing? Eating and drinking ok? Doesn't seem in pain? Lethargic? What are their temps. When were they last dewormed?

Keep up with anemia protocol until famacha color is much improved.
Iron supplement daily for a week then once a week until color improves. If after a week of daily they are still quite pale, do ano t her week of daily before going once a week.
Daily B 12 or b complex
30 cc of a 50/50 mix of ACV/water daily
High protien feed, food ( ex: a few raw peanuts with shell as a treat), browse and alfalfa along with quality loose minerals.
Thank you they were last dewormer 3 days ago the one with inflammation she is not eating and she isn't chewing her cud . She seems lethargic with her face against the wall the diarreah is now almost clear with bad smell. I will check her temperature now to check.

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
I would give her B complex and probiotics along with dark beer. The darker the better. Just bring to room temp and drench her with it. 6 oz for full size adult goat..decrease appropriately for smaller goats. Probiotics and dark beer are a powerful team for rumen flora.
Let me know her temp so we can decide where to go from here...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would give her B complex and probiotics along with dark beer. The darker the better. Just bring to room temp and drench her with it. 6 oz for full size adult goat..decrease appropriately for smaller goats. Probiotics and dark beer are a powerful team for rumen flora.
Let me know her temp so we can decide where to go from here...
Thank you for your help Temperature 103.7 and the other one is 101.7

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Need to wait 10 days to fecal to be sure things are taken care of. Valbazen does address liverfluke so that is goid..just in case that is an issue. Cydectin sheep drench is great for Barber pole.
The scours sound severe and we need to stop them. Scour halt for pigs is a red liquid that is very effective. Give up to 3 days in a row and followed by probiotics 3 hours or so after. Or pepto if that's what you have in hand.
Tummy Tamer is a great help to calm the intestinal track and stop scours. I'll post recipe.
Be very careful drenching her with her being swollen. Go slow and let her swallow small amounts at a time.
Tummy Tamer
1 teaspoon each
Cayenne pepper
Ginger
Cinnamon
Clove( to address any coccidia)
Acv
Molasses
20-30 cc water Blended smooth with 1-2 garlic cloves
Give 2-4 times a day.

Keep her hydrated

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Temps are ok..one 103.7 is a tad high and the other with in normal range but lower end..so need to recheck a few time a day. Especially the lower temp one if that is who is feeling worse.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Need to wait 10 days to fecal to be sure things are taken care of. Valbazen does address liverfluke so that is goid..just in case that is an issue. Cydectin sheep drench is great for Barber pole.
The scours sound severe and we need to stop them. Scour halt for pigs is a red liquid that is very effective. Give up to 3 days in a row and followed by probiotics 3 hours or so after. Or pepto if that's what you have in hand.
Tummy Tamer is a great help to calm the intestinal track and stop scours. I'll post recipe.
Be very careful drenching her with her being swollen. Go slow and let her swallow small amounts at a time.
Tummy Tamer
1 teaspoon each
Cayenne pepper
Ginger
Cinnamon
Clove( to address any coccidia)
Acv
Molasses
20-30 cc water Blended smooth with 1-2 garlic cloves
Give 2-4 times a day.

Keep her hydrated
Hello thank you I now on my way to the market to get the dark beer , cayenne pepper. I have the Scour check for pigs . Questions is clove a powder that I can get at a supermarket? Their temperature still the same . I have them the B complex, thiamine, and I am going to purchase a new Iron injection now . I really appreciate your help 🙏 thank you for your help.

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Clove spice works.

Be sure to have Benadryl or epinephrine on hand in the syringe ready to dose when using injectable iron. Just as a precaution. Some goats react to injectable iron and its better to be safe.
Benadryl liquid is easiest to give and I would have a large 20 to 30 cc drawn up ready.

Best wishes

·
Super Moderator
14,790 Posts
I’m curious though why the swelling after treating for liver flukes? Also it’s not just the stomach area that is swelling but the whole face and body. I have heard about fluid in the stomach being related to liver flukes but it’s their whole body and face that are also swollen. I did a fast search and the only thing coming up is allergic reaction. So why would the whole body Swell up? Not exactly questioning you just curious

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I’m curious though why the swelling after treating for liver flukes? Also it’s not just the stomach area that is swelling but the whole face and body. I have heard about fluid in the stomach being related to liver flukes but it’s their whole body and face that are also swollen. I did a fast search and the only thing coming up is allergic reaction. So why would the whole body Swell up? Not exactly questioning you just curious
I really have no idea I don't have much experience with goats and don't have help from my vet . I explained to my vet all that today and all he gave me was coccidia medication. This is the only place where I can really get help happybleats always there for me and give me good advice. I am grateful that I can have answers from her she always responds fast . Thank you for your response and concern I feel really sad that my vet wasn't willing to help me .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts