The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on Sunday we brought home a Nigerian Dwarf Buck to service my does. We put him in with our Pygmy Boer cross wether. They seemed to do fairly well the first day. Of course on Monday, I went back to work. Tuesday I noticed the wether wasn't coming out of his house very much. Last night I dragged him out and made him drink and eat. He actually still has a good appetite. This morning I noticed he has an issue with his rear left leg. He doesn't want to put any weight on it. There is no apparent injury or break. No broken skin. I'm not sure if it's his leg or his hip.

I separated him out in the barn in a stall. He doesn't want to get up on his own. He will stand when I lift him for about 10 minutes, but then he lays down again. He isn't really taking steps - just a few.

He is pooping and peeing and eating. He hasn't been drinking much water - so I've been giving him watery fruits - apples, bananas etc. Last night I gave him molasses water and he drank about a cup. My husband is picking up electrolytes on the way home. I also have gave him probiotics and I gave him 7 - 325mg aspirin. The aspirin seemed to help a bit with the pain.

I'm worried about pneumonia and dehydration. Any suggestions are appreciated. He was tested for CAE in the summer and was fine. This seems like an injury because it came on so sudden.

· Registered
6,548 Posts
I would guess it's an injury from fighting or playing with the buck. He'll probably come out of it. Keep getting him up and making him move around even tho it hurts him. When you feel along the leg, does anything seem out of place? Feel the other leg too so you can tell if there is something different. For dehydration, keep doing the "skin tent" test...pinch some skin and see how quickly it snaps back.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He was in with the buck for a few days. I've felt both legs in the back and there doesn't seem to be any breaks - or really particularly tender spots. The last time I was out there - about 1/2 hour ago, he seemed a little better. He stood for a good while and drank some water out of the bucket.

How often can I give him aspirin? I gave them around noon today - when can I repeat them?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.