The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this on a doe today,kinda squishy feeling,any ideas,it's been one of those days what else!!!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hello.. I have not seen this on any of my goats.. But my Golden Retreiver/Lab mix has several of these squishy lumps. Vet said they were fatty tumors.. not cancerous and nothing to worry about. One day she had one and then several appeared out of no where. They look unsightly but nothing to worry about. But that's if your goat has a fatty tumor. Wish I had more to tell you!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We had a black lab that was older and had these vet told us exact same thing,these do look similar but this doe is only 3.so I'm not sure,fine otherwise

·
Registered
29,850 Posts
Oh my...that is a big cyst. It might be CL...it is close to a general location...check this link out scroll down for the out line pic of a goat..it shows key areas for CL...you say its squishy? is the center very squishy where it feels like a very ripe grape?

http://goat-link.com/content/view/101/96/#.UcJeej6DTL8

·
Registered
29,850 Posts
You might want to seperate her in a pen away from the herd...if this is CL you dont want it bursting spreading it all over to your other goats... Do you have a vet you work with?? You can have it lanced and flushed..make sure to catch the contence to have it tested...not all cyst are CL so testing is a good idea...once its lanced flush it a few times a day with iodine solution until the walls thin and it can heal nicely...You want to do this in an area easyly cleaned with bleach..

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay ,I'll watch it and see,I would prob see if I could get anything out of it and send it too vets for testing,thanks

·
Registered
29,850 Posts
if you use an 18 g needle and new syringe to with draw some out...do this in a n area easily bleached because if it real ripe it can burst even with just a needle poking it..be prepared...wear gloves...have a huge wad of paper towels to soak up anything thing that flows out.. a zip lock gallon size baggie to put everything in whenyou are done...have iodine ready to flush if it does burst...you will need to copletly clean it out by pushing under and up...catching it in the paper towels..changing them often..once the cycst is completly clean as much as you can then flush until you see no more white gunk...with a clean paper towel and iodine..wash her entire leg and surrounding area..... put everything in a burning barrel and burn if you can..if not wrap in several bags ...take your syring sampl to your vet or send off to test at a lab...be sure to flush her cyst a few times a day for 3-4 days until the wall is thin and can heal...
I do want to add...the squeezing the stuff out is painful for the doe..if you have banamine..I would give her a bit before proceeding..Best wishes..

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do have banamine,I will see what it looks like in the morning,if this is cl it seems like a big deal,but I read tenesee meat goats article. And she said it can be spread by flies and so on,even if your herd was negative,more research tonight.

·
Registered
29,850 Posts
yes.. you can have a clean herd then all of a sudden there it is...you can bring it in on your shoes if you visit other farms with CL in the ground..I too was told flies can spread it... Once you get her fixed up..she may never get it again..some goats have strong defence systems and build antibodies against CL...other will get one after another...so just keep a close eye on her...and remember..not all cyst are CL..but they all should be treated as if they are...just in case..

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just wondering ,reading About treating with buffered formaldehyde ,on tenesee meat goat site

·
Registered
29,850 Posts
Yes, my first goat year...we bought five registered boer from a show goat auction..all five had CL..we didnt know what it was...man it made a mess..I was told they were worm pockets to keep worming them lol..all the while they were bursting everywhere...I learned to lance and clean the cyst myself and with being careful and tons of bleach we got rid of CL..havent had a case here is 4-5 years or so..

·
Registered
29,850 Posts
personally I think that is too risky...unless a person has experiance handling formaldehyde..and even then..its risky...it can seep into the goat effecting good flesh, the organs..a good old fastion lance and flush is less risky for the goat..but risky for the grounds...we had once spot for CL patients..everything was scrubbed with bleach..sprayed with bleach , we removed the top soil and bleached the ground ntil soaked...yah ..it was a pain..we had several goats, one after another ..but it was worth it to get rid of CL..

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay I see what you are saying,you say you got rid if it,did it not come back I. Them goats or did you get rid of them goats,obviously you worked hard to keep things clean

·
Registered
29,850 Posts
any goat that had repeat CL was culled...eventually we stop seeing CL all together..
we did sell the rest of the boer to do dairy...but only because we were changing direction..not because CL...weh ad dairy goats for 5 years now..so no CL for at least that :) my husband brought home a white Dorper ewe..sweet little girl..but a huge CL just under her Jaw...Had him turn around and take her to the vet..I sure didnt want to get started again lol...we housed her on concrete in a dog pen, flushed for 4 days until the walls were thin and let it heal...she was in quaratine for about 2 weeks..she now runs with the sheep CL free...if I ever see another on her..she will be culled..even though she is a real sweet ewe..friendly bottle raised..;)

·
Registered
436 Posts
I just end through this the needle and syringe didn't work and it made lancing a nightmare. The second one I used a 10 blade much simpler! I did it in the garage flushed it with a 25% bleach water to get all the goo out then I used hydrogen peroxide. Followed by packing it with antibiotic cream for two days. Then I just squirt iodine in it for a few more days. I have been spraying fly spray in her too. When I was done I dumped straight bleach on the floor spread it around and let it dry. I was a medic so I tend to over kill but I have to say she's healing nicely!

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

·
Registered
29,850 Posts
Yes, you are right..it can be a pain...the thing with the needle is it has to be soft but not too soft...if its hard it wont work well...too soft and it burst...so being prepared for it to burst is always a good idea..when I lanced I used a blade as well....but jddolan just wants to test the gunk.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I opened the back if the syringe and scooped it into it mine was cottage cheese and dry though not nice and squishy

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

1 - 20 of 41 Posts