Goat With Only One Teat?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by heldmanbc, Aug 15, 2018.

1. heldmanbc

heldmanbc New Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Hello all! I have the opportunity to purchase a wonderful, well put together 3-year-old Lamancha doe for CHEAP. Of course there is always a catch.

The current owner is selling her cheap because she only has one teat. She explained to me that when she purchased her, she had bad mastitis that ruptured. The veterinarian came and removed the teat. Current owner said she milked the rest of the year off one side with no issues. She did not breed her last year and is now getting out of Goats entirely.

I am new to the dairy goat world but had meat Goats for years. What would you do? Purchase her and take a chance or pass altogether?

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

If she has more than one kid, you will have to supplement the kids or pull a kid and totally bottle feed. You would need to weigh the kids on a regular basis. Do you have time for that?

3. Lamancha Lady

Lamancha Lady Lamancha Breeder

Dec 12, 2011
    PA
    I would pass, unless she is going to be just a pet.

Goat_Scout likes this.
  4. #nubiantrouble

#nubiantrouble New Member

Jul 26, 2018
    How many kids has she had in the past. I would keep her and get her to have kids. Then keep her as a pet and go on with her future kids.

5. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I would do some digging first. I don’t know the answer here but she hasn’t freshened since she had her test removed. What complications can there be? I mean I would think still that half would produce milk just not be able to get anything out of it? Maybe? (I mean I know you can’t get milk out of that side but would she still fill up?) if she does what if she dried before the mastitis was cured? I have always heard that if a Doe dries with mastitis she will freshen with mastitis, so if this is true then there is no way to infuse her or get the infected milk out.
    Now once you find the answers to that, hopefully those are not stupid questions and someone here can answer you then ask yourself if her offspring will be worth it? If your only after milk I wouldn’t even bother. If she has some awesome lines or you think she will produce stunning kids then why not? I have a doe that her first kidding she had triplets and they would fight over her teats and ended up messing up a half. She doesn’t produce anything in that half. I went back and forth on keeping her but her kids are very much worth bottle feeding. So she keeps one kid and I take the rest (stinking girl always gives trips and quads!)

6. Ranger1

Ranger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    One teat, or one side of an udder? A lot of people have rebred does multiple times that have only one side on an udder(in one case and entire udder was removed) and they do great. If it’s a whole side, I wouldn’t mind taking her if I liked her otherwise, but if it’s just the tear I’d worry for the reasons Jessica mentioned.

7. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    I say if her genetics are really good AI her to a GRATE buck and see what happens. Just keep in mind you my have to put her down if anything happens. And you have to plan on bottle feeding any kids she has.

8. heldmanbc

heldmanbc New Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Thank you for all of the replies! She is going to send me photos of the does udder so hopefully I can get those up on here for all to see.

I definitely do have lots of time. I work part-time as an Animal Control Officer twice a week in a very small community. I do not mind bottle feeding and consider myself a very committed person when it comes to my animals. I have a great relationship with a vet in the area who primarily deals with goats.

I will keep you all posted. Again, thank you for all of the replies and things to consider!

mariarose and toth boer goats like this.
  9. intrepid-dreamer

intrepid-dreamer Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Oregon
    I'm curious as to whether you decided to get the goat or not. Any updates?

Goat_Scout likes this.
  10. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    I've never heard of just the teat being removed, usually it's either the entire udder or just 1/2 of the udder.

I would take the chance on her. No different than if she lost a half to an injury or mastitis. I have an extremely well bred doe who lost a half to an injury. I breed her each fall and pull the doe kids to be bottle fed, just like I do all my does, so I don't do anything different than I would normally do anyway. I have a full time and a part time off farm job, plus the full time work on my farm that I do alone and I have time to bottle raise the kids.

11. heldmanbc

heldmanbc New Member

Jul 7, 2018
    I could not figure out how to get the photos up on here ! Sorry about that.

I did go get her! She is just lovely. It appears that her entire left side has been removed. Which made me much more comfortable taking a chance on her. I will most likely pull her kids and bottle feed this spring. I have not decided if I will milk her or dry her up but I will cross that bridge at a later time. It really depends on if all the other does get bred and how much milk I will need for our use here. Again, thank you all for the replies!

12. thespottedgoat

thespottedgoat Member

Feb 3, 2018
    North Carolina
    Our one teat doe (Boer) is being bred now. She lost half her udder to mastitis the first of this year after kidding. She nursed one little buck just fine. If she has multiples this time, I'll make sure they all get colostrum then bottle feed. We discussed the pros and cons with the head goat guy at NCSU Vet school and he said that if we liked her form and genetics then go for another breeding.

13. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Well she still has one side you could leave one kid on her. Or if she has twins she just might make enough to feed both and you could just milk her and feed them. I always feel bad for single bottle kids :( but YAY! On the new addition! I hope she gives you beautiful babies. I agree that I would also feel way better with the whole half removed. I just kept picturing a no teat goat and thinking dang there is no way to treat anything on that side lol but since she doesn’t have a side no issue lol

14. Bree_6293

Bree_6293 Briawell6293

Aug 3, 2014
    Australia
    We had a doe lose 1/2 her udder and after the loss we waited 18 months to rebreed to make sure all was healed. She has since kissing a single doe kid that is just stunning. She fed her single doe no problems plus we were milking out more (about 1L) each day. Her daughter has just turned one and she is now back in kid.