The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 4 month old doe that I brought home Saturday she has black loose stool this morning,still active looks good eating dry hay,I think she ate more grain than she is used to,no fever,I gave her 5 ml of pepto and probiotic paste,anything else I'm thinking its the feed,

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
She will not get anymore till her poop is normal,should she get cd antitoxin,or anything else,wanted to wait before I jump to cocci,although I know stress can bring this on as well.there are 3 goats came from same breeder and other 2are fine,any suggestions,

·
730 Posts
I would probably check for cocci just to be safe... as we all know..>> COCCI IS A KILLER..and most of the time A FAST ONE!..
Best of luck!

·
Registered
31,396 Posts
I agree...that stress opens the door..better safe than sorry...have a fecal done or just treat for cocci if you can get a fecal done ..: ) the pepto and probios was a good call too ...CD Antitoxin wont hurt..I would give it if it continues past today...

·
Registered
31,396 Posts
The ACV has potassium in it..if you dont have any just omit it for now and pick some up later...: )

·
Registered
31,396 Posts
the home made elctrolyte recipe calls for ACV

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So she had 2soft poops not watery,brown no mucous or blood noted,gave more pepto she is eating hay,holding off on treating coccidiosis

·
Registered
31,396 Posts
are you able to have a fecal done?? any vet can do them...

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I called our vet today and the small ruminant vet was out she does the fecals so no not today,should I just start dimethox ?i have 12.5 per.and what is dose

·
Registered
31,396 Posts
yep I agree I would treat...it wont hurt and it could help a tone : ) 1 cc per 5# day one and 1 cc per 10# day 2-5 : ) best wishes

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I gave dimethox,she is back to runny poo,gave more pepto ,she didn't seem interested in the mixed packet of resorb,she's eating hay drinking some,I will get some apple cider vinegar in the morning for home made electros

·
Registered
31,396 Posts
the treating for cocci wont be quick fix...might take a few days to see improvment...keep with the pepto and electolytes : )

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
She doesn't seem crAzy over the electros,I have the home meds-apple cider venegar in a dish and dish of water,is that ok or remove water?i drenched her some,she's chewing cud and hay

1 - 20 of 27 Posts