The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have s 4month old weaned doe new to our place,runs this afternoon started,I just lost a dwarf also same age thinking cocci,so this doe has gotten today,she weighs 50 lbs,dimethox 12.5 per 10 ml,pepto 10 ml twice ,some homemade electros,probiotics

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And just gave 2.5 ml im b complex,no fever ,anything else would banamine help or cd antitoxin or are these two not necessary ?she is active and eating hay

·
14,456 Posts
HappyBleats is our resident C&D antioxin expert so I'll let her address that. But I wouldnt give her banamine unless she has fever or is in pain.
Were either of these kids wormed before or right after coming to your place? If so with what?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Believe they were wormed with valbazen ,but a few weeks ago or more,worming was on my to do list,no pain or fever,

·
Super Moderator
31,761 Posts
I would give the C D Antitoxin since she has the runs.....good you treating for cocci..I would also go a head and worm..the stress of the move to a new home may have set her up...and a bit of Probios to help her flora

·
Super Moderator
31,761 Posts
about 15 cc every 12 hours until she is pretty dry...I know that sounds like a lot..I would give 1/2 in one spot and theother 1/2 in a new location...

·
Super Moderator
31,761 Posts
I doubled checked..here is what the magfacture recommends..
Keep a bottle of CD ANTI toxin on hand at all times :
New dosing information Directly from Colorado Serum:
No need to give this every 6 hours- the recommended dosing for goats is as follows:
kids under 6lbs give them 3ccs injected SQ every 12hours
kids 6-15lbs give them 5ccs injected SQ every 12 hours.
kids 15-20lbs: give them 10ccs injected SQ every 12 hours.

For adults- 80lb goat will get 20ccs injected SQ every 12 hours
CD Anti toxin is NOT the CDT toxoid vaccine and even if the baby has had the CDT vaccine this does not negate the need for the anti toxin. Use for baby goats who act hungry and refuse to eat even after an enema. This is also used for adult goats with enterotoxemia. CD Anti toxin has but one purpose, to rid the body of toxins in the gut, what it not used by the goat will be eliminated through the urine.

·
Super Moderator
31,761 Posts
yes.....once her poop is no longer watery...more very thick pudding..you can stop CD antitoxin...and once her poop is firmer like playdough stop pepto..you dont want to plug her up...continue the probios until she is pooping berries and eatting real well..and keep the electros out for her to choose along with water and hay..no feed until you see berries..

·
Super Moderator
31,761 Posts
dog poo is better : ) you can stop both CD Antitoxin and Pepto..let her body d the rest..keep up the daily probios to restore flora : ) and Cocci treatment of course..a full five days...Awesome news :D

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok,I'm gonna make sure she stays hydrated and keep up probiotics,thanks happybleats,would you continue b complex?

·
Super Moderator
31,761 Posts
if she is still a little slow to eat and move around the B will help..but if she is pretty much back up and going no need...: ) great job!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.