Goat with skin issue on rear leg

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by 4hmama, Feb 13, 2011.

1. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    I'm guessing foot rot?? What would cause a thick, crusty, swollen, skin condition on a goat's rear leg? Looks and feels much like rain rot on a horse. Goat is not down on her knees, and is walking on all 4's. Pulled the 'rain-rot-ish' hair off and exposed red swollen skin. Scrubbed with Nolvasen scrub, and dried. Started on Dimethox (which is supposed to help with foot rot), trimmed hooves, dried leg and applied a Zinc spray. Not anywhere else on goat and seems to only be affecting the one leg from the hock down. Eating, drinking, moving normally. None of the other goats are affected. Too dark for pics. Any other ideas or suggestions??

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    How are the hooves themselves any rot..foul odor?

Cold be Mange Mites ....lice.....Ringworm....

Get pics that will help...I know it is to dark now... get them tomorrow...so.....we can better determine... what is going on with her.... :hug:

3. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    Thanks TOTH! Hooves were overgrown, and I trimmed down. There is some seperation of the sidewall and some 'mud' packed into those areas, but I trimmed them out really good and dug most of the mud out. I'm thinking foot rot, but there isn't a foul odor. I've never smelled foot rot, but I have smelled thrush in horses, and if they are anything similar - there isn't an odor there. No sign of mites or lice. I've seen ringworm, and I don't think that is what they are dealing with. Almost looks like there is an old wound (cut or something) that has healed over...but this shouldn't have caused the skin issue. The best I can equate it to is a bad case of rain rot, and from what I have read - it would be foot rot...??? I'll try to get some pics tomorrow....

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome... Pics would help... I will wait for those...it is hard to determine without really seeing.... :wink:

5. Dodge 'Em

Dodge 'Em New Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Cedar Hill,TN
    IMO its the same as rain rot on horses. I wash in Aloedine shampoo and it clears up. The Novalsan should do it. I have a couple that get it every year, even if its really dewey grass they sometimes have a bout with it. Good luck.

6. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    horses also get something like rain rot on their lower legs/ankles called greasy heel when they are walking through a lot of dewy/rainy wettness in the spring when it is wet for long periods. It is basically rain rot on the legs/ankles. I don't know as I am new to goats, but I would guess that goats could get this as well. You treat it like rain rot. Wash with an anti-fungal shampoo (fungus causes rain rot) everyday, groom, and if you can try to get her in a dry area if it has been wet in hers. Try to groom off the bumpy scaly stuff to clean skin underneith if it is loose enough. The affected hair will fall off, but you want it too, as if you don't get it all it is just a breeding ground for more fungus to spread. Goom everyday, and if it is warm enough you can wash the legs with the anti-fungal shampoo everyday too until better.

Take my advice with a grain of salt :greengrin: Like I said I am new to goats, and I may be projecting something from my horse knowledge onto them. I do know that cows get rain rot though, so I assume other animals can be effected as well.

Rain Rot is caused when a fungus gets into a wound or even a very tiny scratch.