The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Sorry i can't offer any help, but i hope she get's better soon! Someone should be able to help you out soon! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts
Hello, I have a goat with sores on her butt and all around. She's started walking like it's sore with her tail down. Laying around a lot. She eats and drinks fine though. Does anyone know what it could be?
Have you tried cleaning it with anything? N iodine solution or chorhexadine solution? I also see a fly on her.... has she had more on her?

·
Registered
31,071 Posts
Oh poor baby. She has what looks like squamous cell cancer. Its not curable. Is she able poop ok? Need to be super gentle and clean the area. Need to keep flies off her.

Reactions: FoxRidge

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I’ve sprayed her with a fly spray, except not on that area. I have cleaned it but she lays down a lot. I was hoping it wasn’t cancer but was worried about that. ☹ She’s a wild goat so she’s very hard to catch and doesn’t like to be touched at all. She was a rescue. I was reading the other threads and hoping it was something else treatable. If it is cancerous, what kind of life span is typical? May be time to call in a vet.

·
Registered
31,071 Posts
She can live quite along time if it stays external. But you also need to look at the quality of that life. If she seems to be suffering, then that is no life at all. If the cancer goes internal then life is cut much shorter. I think a vet visit to discuss how advanced hers is and a plan for her.

Reactions: Iluvlilly!

·
Registered
11,203 Posts
Oh dear, I'm afraid cancer is likely correct. I think a chlorohexadine wash for 3 days is worth a shot just in case it's a horrible staph Infection, it won't hurt even if it doesn't help. I had good results applying zinc oxide cream after chlorohex wash when a doe of mine had staph. You'll have to stall her with good hay, a friend, and maybe some leafy branches for the 3 days so you don't have to chase her.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I’ve cleaned it although she jumps forward with the slightest touch of that area as it is so tender. Now it almost looks a little bloody around the area. I have called the vet and they will be calling me back when they are able to get out here. Hopefully in the next few days.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update... vet came today and thinks it’s viral warts. He didn’t find them inside so said that’s a good sign. He snipped then off and we will see if they return or not. If they do then he will biopsy it. But he didn’t think it was cancer as of now.

·
Registered
31,071 Posts
Fingers crossed hes right. Did he leave banamine for pain after snipping

Reactions: Iluvlilly!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No just cleaned it up with antiseptic and said keep it clean. It didn’t bleed that much surprisingly. I thought it was going to. Just said same as others, to keep flies away. We sprayed her all around her rear with fly spray again. Just keeping her isolated with another goat for company.

·
Registered
31,071 Posts
might ask for some if she seems uncomfortable. Keep us posted..we're rooting for her

1 - 20 of 20 Posts