Goat with sores

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Jen76, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Jen76

Jen76 New Member

Jun 1, 2020
    California
    Hello, I have a goat with sores on her butt and all around. She’s started walking like it’s sore with her tail down. Laying around a lot. She eats and drinks fine though. Does anyone know what it could be?

Attached Files:

2. Iluvlilly!

Iluvlilly! Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Sorry i can't offer any help, but i hope she get's better soon! Someone should be able to help you out soon! Good luck!

3. Jen76

Jen76 New Member

Jun 1, 2020
    California
    Thank you. I added a pic but not sure if it can be seen. First time posting.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  4. Iluvlilly!

Iluvlilly! Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Yes I can view the picture! And welcome to the forum! Glad you are here!

5. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Have you tried cleaning it with anything? N iodine solution or chorhexadine solution? I also see a fly on her.... has she had more on her?

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  6. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Oh poor baby. She has what looks like squamous cell cancer. Its not curable. Is she able poop ok? Need to be super gentle and clean the area. Need to keep flies off her.

FoxRidge likes this.
  7. Jen76

Jen76 New Member

Jun 1, 2020
    California
    Yes I’ve sprayed her with a fly spray, except not on that area. I have cleaned it but she lays down a lot. I was hoping it wasn’t cancer but was worried about that. ☹️ She’s a wild goat so she’s very hard to catch and doesn’t like to be touched at all. She was a rescue. I was reading the other threads and hoping it was something else treatable. If it is cancerous, what kind of life span is typical? May be time to call in a vet.

8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would definitely have a vet look at her now.

happybleats likes this.
  9. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    She can live quite along time if it stays external. But you also need to look at the quality of that life. If she seems to be suffering, then that is no life at all. If the cancer goes internal then life is cut much shorter. I think a vet visit to discuss how advanced hers is and a plan for her.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  10. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Oh dear, I'm afraid cancer is likely correct. I think a chlorohexadine wash for 3 days is worth a shot just in case it's a horrible staph Infection, it won't hurt even if it doesn't help. I had good results applying zinc oxide cream after chlorohex wash when a doe of mine had staph. You'll have to stall her with good hay, a friend, and maybe some leafy branches for the 3 days so you don't have to chase her.

Iluvlilly!, Sfgwife and FoxRidge like this.
  11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Get a vet to look at her.

12. Jen76

Jen76 New Member

Jun 1, 2020
    California
    Yes I’ve cleaned it although she jumps forward with the slightest touch of that area as it is so tender. Now it almost looks a little bloody around the area. I have called the vet and they will be calling me back when they are able to get out here. Hopefully in the next few days.

Iluvlilly! and happybleats like this.
  13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  14. Jen76

Jen76 New Member

Jun 1, 2020
    California
    Update... vet came today and thinks it’s viral warts. He didn’t find them inside so said that’s a good sign. He snipped then off and we will see if they return or not. If they do then he will biopsy it. But he didn’t think it was cancer as of now.

goatblessings likes this.
  15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  16. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Fingers crossed hes right. Did he leave banamine for pain after snipping

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  17. Jen76

Jen76 New Member

Jun 1, 2020
    California
    No just cleaned it up with antiseptic and said keep it clean. It didn’t bleed that much surprisingly. I thought it was going to. Just said same as others, to keep flies away. We sprayed her all around her rear with fly spray again. Just keeping her isolated with another goat for company.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  18. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    might ask for some if she seems uncomfortable. Keep us posted..we're rooting for her

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  20. Jen76

Jen76 New Member

Jun 1, 2020
    California
    Hopefully the sores don’t come back. Thank you all!!

toth boer goats likes this.