Goat with swollen coronary band

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by LazyCreekGoats, May 4, 2019.

1. LazyCreekGoats

LazyCreekGoats Member

Aug 31, 2018
    One of my does started walking on her knees while on pasture about 9 days ago. Her hooves were slightly overgrown, so I trimmed them. She started walking better, then went back to kneeling again sometimes. I have been soaking her hooves in cold water morning and night since she first started kneeling. Wednesday I noticed the coronary band on all 4 of her hooves was swollen. There seems to be some warmth around the coronary band and in-between the hooves. I read that sometimes abscesses will cause the coronary band to swell. How likely is it that she could have abscesses on all four hooves? Could this be founder? In my experiences the whole hoof seems to swell when it is founder (not just the coronary band). I plan on giving her some banamine in the morning, and will start to use Green Gel Liniment as a poultice. Will an antibiotic be beneficial?

Suggestions? All help welcome!

IMG_7311.JPG IMG_7312.JPG IMG_7314.JPG IMG_7321.JPG

2. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

Seems to me that soaking in plain water will make hoofs worse. Epson salts just like you would for your feet would be better. Zinc sulfate or copper sulfate is used as a drying agent for hoofs. Use it as a foot soak
    Is there a really bad smell to the hoofs, like something dead? If so squirt some LA 200 between toes and around coronary band. If you don't have that, Dr. Naylor's Hoof and Heel will help the scald.

jodane, groovyoldlady and GoofyGoat like this.
  3. LazyCreekGoats

LazyCreekGoats Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Not sure about the smell, but will check.

Dwarf Dad likes this.
  4. Dwarf Dad

You will sure know it if you smell it!

groovyoldlady and LazyCreekGoats like this.
  5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    It looks like founder to me. I had one founder and her front hooves looked like this. Founder doesn't usually effect the back hooves that I know of?? But the way her hooves are "tall" and the swelling..very much what my doe dealt with.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree, may be founder, I would seek a vet for direction.

7. Dwarf Dad

8. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    What’s her diet like? On pasture? Body condition? Sounds like founder — this coming from an equine perspective.

9. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    @LazyCreekGoats - how is your doe now? I'm really interested to hear about her diet and what your veterinarian had to say.

10. LazyCreekGoats

LazyCreekGoats Member

Aug 31, 2018
    She gets 3 lbs of grain a day...she usually doesn't eat it all. She just kidded twins, and wasn't very healthy afterwards. She weighs 142 lbs. My goats' pasture is so short it's almost like a dry lot right now. I have been letting them onto an un-fenced pasture for a few hours every other day or so. I was giving a bale of hay everyday, but just ran out.

11. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    How is your doe doing? Is she still walking on her knees? Were you able to get a veterinarian opinion?

toth boer goats likes this.
  12. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I’d be really interested to her how this goat is doing, @LazyCreekGoats ?

toth boer goats likes this.