The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe is 6 weeks fresh and I pulled her babies at week one and started hand milking. Last night when I started milking I noticed that one of her tears felt odd. It’s swollen on the outside of the teat. The swelling is in the skin and doesn’t move. I don’t see any damage to the outside of the teat. Nothing that would indicate mastitis, no blood, strings, off tasting milk, heat, or redness and she’s been on antibiotics for the past 10 days for a different issue(a UTI). I highly doubt mastitis but I do plan to check and rule that out in this evenings milking. She doesn’t seem to mind me touching it and milking her at all. When I’m done milking the teat still feels hard and stiff on that side, not soft like the other. She had a copper deficiency and when I bolused her a week ago her milk production went up pretty drastically. I’m not sure if that has some correlation. We also just introduced a new doe and all the girls have been fighting more often so it’s possible that it’s an injury. Just wondering what everyone’s thoughts are and if I should try to treat in anyway?

·
Super Moderator
32,155 Posts
Possible injured while fussing with the other doe. Do they have horns? With no wound or heat, something to address its hard to just guess. Might try cool compression before and after milking to help reduce the swelling.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everyone! It’s been a couple days and the swelling is gone. She must have just stepped on it or something. I was just trying to be proactive because I’ve had issue after issue with my goats this year. Glad this one was an easy fix!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.