Goat won't eat it's grain!

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Ikkaya, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Ikkaya

Ikkaya New Member

Mar 23, 2014
    She eats maybe a cup of it then quits! Do I try a new grain?

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

2. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    what is her age? did she eat it before and stopped? what is the grain youre feeding?

3. Ikkaya

Ikkaya New Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Sweet 16 Dairy - I got her two weeks ago and she's never really taken a liking to it. She was on a different grain before I got her.

4. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I would just offer it daily.. might take time for her to adapt tot he new grain..its actually good to go slow on new feeds any way..: ) is she eating plenty of hay/graze? loose minerals?

is she well other wise? drinking, peeing pooping berries...active? alert and bright eyed

5. Ikkaya

Ikkaya New Member

Mar 23, 2014
    This is what she was on before milkers X-cel grain Mare & Foal

6. Ikkaya

Ikkaya New Member

Mar 23, 2014
    She seems a little thin, she's starting to milk less. Overall though, she seems ok. She still pretty much stays in the stall and won't come out unless someone is with her.

7. canyontrailgoats

canyontrailgoats New Member

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    You could feed smaller amounts at a time, so she doesn't get bored of it quickly.
    Depending on how old she is and whether or not she's milking, she might not even need grain, or much of it anyways. Does she look thin or fat?

8. Ikkaya

Ikkaya New Member

Mar 23, 2014
    She looks thin and I'm milking her

9. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I would get her temp...101.5-103.5 is normal range...just in case shes not feeling well...also check her inner lower eye lids for color...you want to see a deep pink to red...if she is pale...worms could be an issue...this would drop her weight and milk production..

10. canyontrailgoats

canyontrailgoats New Member

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    She should get used to it after a while. You can also experiment with beet pulp, boss and alfalfa pellets to see what she enjoys.

11. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I wouldn't change anything, her tummy may be off from her previous change, or she may be in pain. If she is still not eating it in a couple weeks and you are sure its the grain then slowely switch her to something else, but not all at once.

I have a doe that had a hard kidding this year. She didn't eat grain well for 2 weeks (Pain issue) but ate hay well. she started chowing again all of a sudden after a couple weeks. Not eating grain can be a sign of pain that is otherwise not noticeable, so really check her over and try to determine if she is feeling OK.

12. Ikkaya

Ikkaya New Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Thanks all! She's still adjusting to her new home and is very attached to me. I'm also feeding orchard grass and alfalfa, which she's eating.

13. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Im sure she will need time to adjust...go a head and get her temp and check for anemia ..maybe have a fecal done to see if worms are causing the weight loss ect...once you know she is fine other wise...then you know she just needs more time to adjust and get used to everything

14. Ikkaya

Ikkaya New Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Can I check for anemia? Or do I need someone to do that?

15. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    you look at her inner lower eye lid...here is a link to show you how : )
    goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/#.U0Inv61dV2A

16. Ikkaya

Ikkaya New Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Thanks! I'll take a look in the morning.

Sent from my iPad using Goat Forum

17. Ikkaya

Ikkaya New Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Ok, so I checked her eyes and I would say they look kind of whitish with some light pink, but definitely not nornal. What so I give her and can I still consume the milk?

18. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I do red cell 6 cc per 100# once daily for a week the once a week until color returns to deep pink to red...
    B 12 high protein feed, alfalfa and green leaves all help her rebuild red blood cells
    mix 50/50 ACV and water and drench 20-30 cc daily to help recover faster...

with anemia comes cause..most likely worms....I would also worm her with either Ivomec plus ( 1 cc per 40# sub Q) or Valbazen ( 1 cc per 10# orally) (not for pregnant does)..worm 3 times 10 days apart then once again in 30 days...

19. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes with red cell and the others you can drink the milk...with the wormer there is a withdraw time...
    some go 4 days, other 48 hours, some 7 days.....but personally we never with held milk..