The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sport is Special Needs. He came to us after being abandoned at birth. He clearly has some neurological deficits. He doesn't see well and is a bit mobility challenged. I don't think he feels the same as other goats either. Hitting his horns with a stick doesn't seem to bother him. Neither does getting squirted with water, kicked, etc. The boy is just off. Well, he has decided lying down in front of our milking stall door is the place to be while I milk Bambi. Getting him to move once I am done is exasperating. I can yell, kick him, hit him on the head, you name it and he just lays there. It usually takes several minutes of harassing him before he decides to get up. I am afraid one day I am going to find myself trapped in there with no one around to set me free. If anyone has any ideas on getting this big boy to move, I am all ears.

Tree Goat Plant Fawn Grazing
Sport is the big boy laying down on the ground.

Sky Wood Plant Tree Shade
Milking Stall--he curls up in front of the door and refuses to get up.

Attachments

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
LOL...i'm sorry, I had to laugh. picturing you stuck in there with a goat nonchalantly laying down and not caring to let you out. it's like he's the fire breathing dragon and you're the damsel in distress in the castle, waiting for your white knight to save you!!!

how about tying him or putting him up somewhere before you go to milk so he doesn't get in the way?

·
14,615 Posts
He's not being a very good Sport. A handful of grain or a treat placed away from entrance? Like through an opening so that when you are done he gets another small treat & you can escape?

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I think if you put a lead around him to move him would be a much better idea then kicking, him hitting him or anything like that. You have to admit you said he was not all there, so he needs a littel extra help not being kicked. :(

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The treat idea might work. He does love animal cookies.

·
1,524 Posts
When I get a stubborn goat I grab their tail and quickly wag it back and forth. I don't put much pressure on it, I'm just trying to be annoying. So far it has worked for mine. Mine may not be special needs but I do have a couple of really dense goats.

·
Love them goats!
1,061 Posts
I'm thinking a handful of his favorite goodies....mine will move fast if there's a treat to be had. :)

And LOL nchen7...Texas.girl as the damsel in distress being held captive by the special needs dragon, too funny!!

·
Registered
31,392 Posts
touching where they dont like to be touched works too...I agree with sweetgoats, try a different approach other than hurting him...hitting and kicking can create a mean and aggressive Buck...

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I cannot imagine Sport ever being mean, he is pretty sweet. I have no idea where he doesn't like to be touched. I really think his nerves don't conduct like they should. I will try to remember to bring animal crackers with me every time. of course he doesn't do this all the time, but it has happened 3 times in the past week.

·
Registered
31,392 Posts
Does dont like their udder touched and bucks dont like their jewels touched...at least most...:D

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sport will never be a daddy. As soon as the vet confirmed our suspicions, we took action to make sure his genes are not passed on.

I took along some animal crackers when I went out to milk. He curled up in front of the door and I thought I was going to have to test the treat theory but our queen convinced him to move on before I was done milking.

·
8,357 Posts
Sound like he wants attention and so he lays down. You yell, push, etc. and he is getting the (negative) attention! Can you tie him up elsewhere, like was mentioned and give
him a few treats? Since he doesn't react to pain like a regular goat, it doesn't mean he doesn't actually feel it, he just can't express it, or expresses it inappropriately.

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tying him up is not practical and could put him in danger. His peripheralvision is lacking and when he was younger the other goats would attackhim. So I am not comfortable tying himup around the other goats at all. I am justgoing to bring animal crackers with me and next time he blocks the door I willsee if I can get his attention. I am confidentif he sees the cracker he will get up to eat the cracker.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts