The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought 3 Boer does that r 3 years old and a young January buck that was around 50lbs the man I bought them from said they need wormed was wondering what's the best to use? Safeguard?

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
Really you should have a fecal done first and then treat appropriately. There is no one dewormer that takes care of all worms.

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
A fecal is always a good idea...best to know what your dealing with...
we use Ivomec plus and Valbazen here which covers quite a bit...including liver fluke..and valabzen also covers tape worms..

Ivo. Plus is 1 cc per 40# sub Q
Valbazen is 1 cc per 10#

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thank u all I'm gonna call my vet and see if he can do the fecal.. Use the same wormer for the 5 month old buck?

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
I personally do not use Ivomec product on kids under 6 months old..there is some concern it can cause brain damage...there is not enough proof one way or the other so I rather not chance it..I use Valbazen instead...

Valbazen can be used on the does as well as long as they are not bred
1 cc per 10# orally

·
Registered
152 Posts
I personally do not use Ivomec product on kids under 6 months old..there is some concern it can cause brain damage...there is not enough proof one way or the other so I rather not chance it..I use Valbazen instead...

1 cc per 10# orally
Would this work for mites? We just shaved our market goat and found out he has mites!! Later found out the one who shaved him has animals that have them and we had an animal meeting at our place. Grrrr! Can I safetly worm all,my goats with valbazen? The youngest is 4 month, none bred yet.

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts

1 cc per 10# orally
I don't mean to argue your doubt in Ivomec, but I do have to share my experience with it.
I have been giving Ivomec inj orally, to my 1 month olds for years, with no ill effects, they grow up really smart, no brain issues. My kids do just fine. ;)

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
Would this work for mites? We just shaved our market goat and found out he has mites!! Later found out the one who shaved him has animals that have them and we had an animal meeting at our place. Grrrr! Can I safetly worm all,my goats with valbazen? The youngest is 4 month, none bred yet.
If Ivomec is injected, it will help with mites. ;)

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Valbazen does nothing for mites..ivomec injected 3 times one week apart will clear it up..1 cc per 40# sub Q...

I don't mean to argue your doubt in Ivomec, but I do have to share my experience with it.
I have been giving Ivomec inj orally, to my 1 month olds for years, with no ill effects, they grow up really smart, no brain issues. My kids do just fine.
I too used Iv plus..injected many times with no ill effect..from what I read its not common for it to cause brain damage..just that it can...I would like more info on it..in the mean time, other than mites and lice, Valbazen does a good job...Maybe using it as an oral makes a difference?? ;)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Valbazen does nothing for mites..ivomec injected 3 times one week apart will clear it up..1 cc per 40# sub Q...

I too used Iv plus..injected many times with no ill effect..from what I read its not common for it to cause brain damage..just that it can...I would like more info on it..in the mean time, other than mites and lice, Valbazen does a good job...Maybe using it as an oral makes a difference?? ;)
So give them a shot then 1 week later another then 1 week later a third one? They all need wormed as well. Will the ivomec work for worms and mites so I only have to get one wormer?

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
So give them a shot then 1 week later another then 1 week later a third one? They all need wormed as well. Will the ivomec work for worms and mites so I only have to get one wormer?
Ivomec injected: This is a good method when a goat is anemic, pale pink to white gums.
When worms are dying, they release from the wall of the host and the goat will bleed out,killing the goat. Injecting is at a slower kill rate, so the goat won't bleed to death, injecting does kill mitesl.

Giving it orally, kills at a quicker rate. If their gums are OK in color, it is safe to give that way.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have wormed my lactating doe with Safeguard three weeks ago. Last week her fecal matter contained what appeared to be a bunch of white worms that were dead. Should I repeat the treatment? Her eye lids look good but I'd like to be sure.

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
cyberbeeny: yes re treat three times to get all stages of the tape.

Goatgirl21: yes once a week for three weeks..if they all need worming..I would choose Ivomec PLUS since it also gets liver fluke as well as the mites..my as well cover more withthe same injection..:D

·
Registered
152 Posts
cyberbeeny: yes re treat three times to get all stages of the tape.

Goatgirl21: yes once a week for three weeks..if they all need worming..I would choose Ivomec PLUS since it also gets liver fluke as well as the mites..my as well cover more withthe same injection..:D
Thanks!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts