Goat Yelling

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Farmer Gab, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Farmer Gab

Farmer Gab New Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    After our goat Dahlia kidded the dead doe and her milk didn't come in, we bought another doe from our breeder. Brownie is a lovely goat! I know that it takes time for her to become part of our little goat herd, but could someone help me understand timelines better. She rarely spends time with our other goats. She yells for us a lot, although not as much as when she first got here. It does appear that they have stopped being soooo mean to her, but there is still some head butting going on. Can I do anything to help her integration? How much longer will this take...the yelling is.........driving me crazy! :hair:

THANKS!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how long have you had her? I say 2 weeks is a good time frame for her to be accepted and for her to feel more a part of the herd. By a month she should be happily established into the herd.

How you can help. Well you can assure her each time that you go out to feed that the other goats are ok by petting them and by handling her as well.

As hard as it is do not go to her each time she yells. Turn your back and ignor her. Eventually she will learn that yelling for you doesnt get the response she wants. Dont get me wrong all my goats do yell for me and especially at feed time but they will give up if I dont answer them and go to them.

How old is she? what breed is she? if young was she weaned when you got her or still on her mom? that can be hard. Is she friendly or skittish?

3. Farmer Gab

Farmer Gab New Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Brownie is two years old. Our breeder told us that this the first time she has ever been seperated from her birth herd. I can definitly handle a month....I think. :greengrin: I will continue all the lovin that I always give my goats too. We'll see....

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I assume she is nubian because of your signature. Nubians tend to be loud mouths. Being a part of a herd from birth for 2 years certainly can be a big change.

Two weeks tends to be what it takes for the rest of the herd to stop being so nasty and once that happends they can feel more like they belong and settle in