Goathiker's kidding thread

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by goathiker, Feb 25, 2019.

1. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

I haven't put my horrible year on the forum but, it has been a bad one for me.
    I lost my best homebred doe to an accident, a young doeling to rats, and most recently, my Dexter to the quickest case of silent pneumonia I've ever seen. There is much riding on this year.

Many of you know Guinen, she's been the subject of threads for many years. We agonized over breeding her. She's elderly, her teeth are about gone. She's healthy however, maintaining her weight, and still birthing triplets.
    With Teddy's death we did try one more breeding.
    She started the year off with her last present of a rainbow of triplet doe kids.

Sfgwife likes this.
  2. goathiker

3. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Aww, they are so cute! I sure hope things get better for you.

goathiker likes this.
  4. elvis&oliver

elvis&oliver Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Pa
    They are beautiful hopefully this is your year for all things good:)

goathiker likes this.
  5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry for your losses, especially Dexter. But the triplets are adorable!

goathiker likes this.
  6. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

What a trio of beauties. Guinen came through for you one last time. I'm so sorry for your other troubles.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    goathiker likes this.
  7. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

I am sorry the troubles heaped up on you like that.
    It was magnificent of your aged companion to do that for you, I sure hope they brighten this year for you!

goathiker likes this.
  8. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Wow, I'm so very sorry for your losses they must have been heartbreaking. What a wonderful gift of those triplets you received from your senior girl, she knew you needed uplifting and she was there. I truely hope this is the turn around to get your future brighter. Hang in there!

goathiker likes this.
  9. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I'm so sorry @goathiker , some terrible losses. Looking forward to future photographs of the triplets healing your heart. Thanks Guinen!

goathiker likes this.
  10. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Congratulations on the cute kidlets! I'm so sorry about your losses. I'm sure Dexter was a particularly hard blow. And a doeling killed by rats?? Yikes! I have never heard of such a thing. I hope this year is a good one.

11. singinggoatgirl

singinggoatgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2016
    the deep south
    Congratulations with the adorable triplets! I’m so sorry about your losses! I’ve never heard of loss to rats. That sounds horrible. I’m sure losing Dexter was hard.

goathiker likes this.
  12. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Awww, so sorry for your losses. But yippee for the adorable triplets!

goathiker likes this.
  13. 15WildTurkey

15WildTurkey Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2015
    I really hope this is the start of a great new year for you. Sounds like you’ve had enough “mud” for a while.

goathiker likes this.
  14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    So sorry for the losses. :(

The kids in the pics are so cute. :)

goathiker likes this.
  15. goathiker

The area we live in has huge aggressive rats.
    Someone on here once was freaking about me poisoning them. Yeah, I still do anyway.

The kidding line up this year is Franky, Angie, and Piper.
    My daughter has a doe that should be bred to Dexter. Perhaps she'll have a nice buckling for me.

16. NicoleV

NicoleV Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2015
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Wishing you the best this year! It sucks when you get a bunch of bad things happen in a row.

goathiker likes this.
  17. WhiteFeatherFarms

WhiteFeatherFarms Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Very cute kids! Wishing you all good things in 2019
    I read above that there are aggressive rats in your area & just wanted to ask what you mean exactly?? I’ve been poisoning the ones here & cant seem to get rid of them once & for all!! Was it a newborn you lost? I’ve got 5 kids ranging from 3 days old to 13 weeks, so I’m definitely concerned to see this!

goathiker likes this.
  18. goathiker

So, Guinen is at my daughter's home.
    I go in to see the kids the first time and she picked up the little chamy. I'm drawn to the sundgau anyway and know the breeding is good all the way around.
    Daughter knows the two hardest colors to get in LaMancha kids are true sundgau with white instead of tan legs and true chamoisee with black legs and belly.
    I'm admiring the kids on the ground and she's kinda hiding this little brown doe.
    I stand up and pull a leg out, black. Belly, black. Not perfect but really close.
    Dear Guinen, how did you manage both colors we wanted after all these years?

19. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

Rats are super hard to eradicate because we've eliminated so many of their predators, we provide lots and lots of food, they are excellent mothers, and they are super smart!

I'll look and see the exact name of the poison I prefer (I use it when pressed against the wall)

dzt66 and toth boer goats like this.
  20. goathiker

This doeling I lost was about 8 weeks.
    There are two ways rats kill kids. They bite and lick blood night after night after night. Or mom freaks out over the rats and paws the kid up every time it lays down. Eventually either the rats win or the doe paws the kid to death trying to make it stand up.

dzt66 likes this.