The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have some goaties that are under the weather.

Not bad, just need a little extra TLC.

So I set up a fenced area in my parrot aviary back yard. About half an acre.

Cloud, her daughters, Bonnie my alpine baby, and Mocha the toggenburg mix are ALL in weight gain boot camp! Extra grain, beet pulp pellets, etc.

Carrie my new Boer mix and Nacho Momma my feral goat are in hoof rot boot camp.

Carrie was limping BADLY. So I cleaned her hooves out, gave her a shot of LA200 and put hoofflex into the rot areas. She's walking normally today! Yahoo!

Nacho Momma was limping too, so I did the same thing and normal walking today for her as well!

So I'll finish the round of antibiotics since they appear to be working, keep the area clean and anything else I should do?

They have plenty of loose minerals PLUS a sheep/goat 20% protein block to chew on.

Also, my Cloud Momma (a saanen) is putting on SOME weight but not much. So I'll keep at it. She is still nursing. I tried to start weaning the babies and she got so depressed I thought she might die. She stopped eating, pooping, drinking and peeing. So I put the babies back in with her. She wouldn't eat grain, hay, banana, bread, nothing.

She is losing a lot of hair, is that normal? Her coat looks rough, and is falling out. She's been treated with CyLence.... I'm not sure what else to do. She does get BOSS daily.

One thing after another with these goats! lol

On the other hand Cupcake my weird infected ankles goat is doing better! So much better! I finally have real hope that our months long drama may come to an end. I've invested so much time and money into her, I'm excited to see ANY progress.

All the other goaties are great. Shiny healthy coats, beautiful horns, nice dark pink eye lids, firm poops, etc.

Oh and Laurie (my daughter) taught our huge 200+ pound Saanen a trick. She stands on her hind legs for treats without putting hooves on the person! lol So hilarious!

·
Registered
818 Posts
That picture is too funny! Our huge Nubian wether trained himself to walk around on his hind legs, trying to reach that one little oak leaf that he can never quite get. He sticks his tongue out and everything. lol

You have quite the project going on. I hope everything goes well. I will be checking up often. :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
I love that picture. I should try that with my grandson he always try to get the dogs to do trick why not the goats

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
Can you order Replamin Plus? I would recommend that. I have seen some pictures of goats that have gotten it once a week for a few weeks and they look great. I'm wondering if the extra vitamins and minerals would help boost Cloud so she would gain weight.

I have done 2 doses, 2 weeks apart and my goats are really looking good now too.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Peggy Sue does that trick, too! The command is, "be people, Peggy Sue!"

Peg also started losing hair after she had her babies. Turns out she had a minor infestation of mites that went into overdrive with the stress of late pregnancy/birth. I bathed her in cat flea shampoo and now she's fine. Hair has all grown back. I had a lot of trouble keeping weight on her while she was nursing. I gave her grain, forage blend w/molasses, and vitamin supplements and she was all bones still! Giving her more table scraps (bread, rice, pasta, veggie trimmings) helped a little.

Luckily, when the babies got too big to be in the house she had to choose between house privileges and motherhood... the draw of the couch was too strong. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts