The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
kidstokids
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am from a small town in the Upper Pennisula of MI. I have been married almost 15 years and have six kids. I purchased my first chickens last year, and absolutely love them. Now I am thinking about getting milking goats. I am still in the research stage. I know I will be waiting at least one year, possably two, as I just had my own baby. The thought of learning about and milking a goat with an infant does not sound appealing.
If we decide we can do this I will be building the house for the goats this summer when we redo the chicken coop(have to make it bigger).
I am excited to learn all I can about goat care.

·
570 Posts
Welcome!! I believe having goats can teach your kids so many things! I hope you decide to get some! I absolutely adore my nigies !!!

·
14,615 Posts
A hearty welcome to the forum! There's tons of info here & everybody answers any questions, no matter how rudimentary, without judgement.
So feel free to take your time going through & getting to know goats.

·
Registered
29,954 Posts
welcome from central texas..mom of 8...I never regret getting my goats..they relax me...teach the kids so much..ok teach met too lol, provide milk..babies and tons of work lol..You are wise to research and prepare first..best of luck

·
Registered
600 Posts
I think it's absolutely great that you are doing all the research before you buy :) I jumped right in, as many others do, and even though I was lucky enough to get a good ag teacher to lead the way, I knew nothing. Goats are really great animals, if you buy good stock, you will have many years of milk, laughter, and love your way! Also, just a suggestion, but avoid buying from auction barns at all costs, there is a reason those goats are there, and it usually isn't a good one. These goats tend to exhibit various, sometimes severe, health problems that become apparent when they are brought home. If you have any questions about anything, try www.fiascofarm.com they have nearly everything you need to know :)

·
313 Posts
A Yupper!

Welcome to the forum. It's a great place for research. Before long, you'll know if you'll be able to handle what a goat owner can go through. Being "ready" is a whole 'nother ball game! LoL
Ask as many questions as you can. These people are great.

Erik

·
Love them goats!
1,061 Posts
Welcome from another Michigander! :wave:

You and your children are going to enjoy goats so much, I am madly in love with mine.
I also waited a year to get mine, and did as much research as I could.
They keep me learning all the time...LOL!!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Welcome! You're wise to research before jumping right in. However, you can never be completely ready ;) They are a lot of work, but are so worth it. I think they would be great for you to have, especially to help teach your children responsibility. They will learn so much and will have a great time doing it. I hope that we will all be able to help you out as much as we can!! :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Welcome! I have Pygmy goat bucks they have a very bad odor but I still love 'em. They teach every one in the family something new. Hope you get one! Good luck!:)

·
Registered
693 Posts
You'll love your goats! I have 7 children, also have a newborn, and it's really not to much work! ;) You'll do fine, especially since you are getting all of your research done now! Welcome!

·
Alpine Addict!
2,264 Posts
Welcome from Central TX!!! So glad to have ya! I agree with Cathy, goats are so relaxing and just calm me down. They are also very educational, they teach you about life and death, how to milk and care for them, and so, so much more!

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Welcome! I know you'll love goats! I'm still learning things all the time, and we've had goats for 5 or 6 years. I would've loved to be part of this forum from the beginning. You'll learn a lot here.
And i woudn't worry about goats being too much work; they totally make up for it in many ways, and it's not as much as it sounds like once you get established.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts