Goat's age by horn rings?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Perfect7, May 23, 2010.

1. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Just something I wondered about when looking at Karma's horns (5 rings). Are they like trees? :laugh: I read that this is true of Mountain Goats, that you can tell their age by the number of rings on their horns because they get new growth each winter, but is it true of all goats?
    I'm probably just delirious after working all day finishing up the new buck pen and shelter but is it true? If somebody doesn't mind counting the rings on their goat's horns and letting me know :ROFL:

2. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Hm, from what I can tell the answer is no. My goat Penny is a yearling, and her horns have 5 rings each.

3. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    No, I don't think that would work because diet can effect horn growth tremendously. An interesting thought though. :)

4. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Thank you guys! I was just curious. :p

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Age is best determined by teeth and even better when you know their birthday....I also go by the wear on the front of the horns, using my own goats as reference....Bootsie is turning 10 years old on Friday and though her horn rings number 20 the wear on her horn front is totally flat, my 6 year old buck has 10 horn rings and his wear is rounded and a bit concave in the front..... my goats do not have tree's to rub their heads on but they do rub quite a bit on the wall of the barn.