Goats and 24 hour traveling--- need advice

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Idahodreamer, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

Well, turns out we may be moving sooner than I thought . . . :sigh:
    With Daisy due in 25 days, we 'may' have 30 days to move out with the countdown starting in a week and my parents indecisive with where they want to move :hair: !
    I think I saw some goo on Nellie's tail, so she is very possibly NOT bred . . . and I have 2 local kid reservations *with the money down* for kids in March. I think I will have to put my reservation money towards one kid, because the other kid I wanted won't be born until June and in no way am I shipping it to SD *and no, there are no kids I want from does who are kidding around March because she *breeder* mostly has EX and Grades* So . . . . :GAAH: !!!
    So, I need some help with when to take rest stops, what is best for walking goats and getting stubborn one's in and out of their crate . . . and do you still feed grain while you are on a trip?
    SOMEONE :wallbang: HELP ME :mecry:

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have never taken my goats that far before I could not tell you, but when I do travel (the farthest I have traveled was 4-1/2 hours), I give Nutri Drench for three days before we leave, I also give them rescue remedy. It is just best in my eyes to be safe then sorry, I have one doe that will NOT lay down for anything in the trailer.

I know when I was going to go to Texas and show they all said make sure you take at least a hour at each rest stop to let them get out and just walk around.

3. Idahodreamer

I am heavily thinking of getting Daisy sold before she kids even though the very thought is breaking my heart because I do NOT want her to have babies in the middle of a very long very tiring road trip because I know it would just about kill her. . . . :(

thanks sweetgoats . . . . :hug:

4. nesluopetan

nesluopetan New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Utah
    it always amazed me how people can just get up and move their family without much notice and when not even knowing where to move.. Why are they wanting to move so badly? Best of luck to you.. That would be a long hard trip with animals.. Best of luck.

5. Idahodreamer

Well, we've been planning on moving for the past 2 years, and are moving back to family in SD. . . but family ties are really unstable so we aren't sure if we want to stay here near our friends or move home to live near Grandma ... so even though I know *or think I know* where we are going, they aren't sure yet . . . moving is a really hard decision and you have to be sure of what's best for your family as far as work goes *speaking of which, we have ABSOLUTELY NO work out here, it's crazy my dad has been sitting at home for five months now and we are just barely getting by . . .* ;) ~tia

6. nesluopetan

nesluopetan New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Utah
    Yeah the economy is tough on everyone right now. Utah has been very lucky overall although ATK just laid off 1000 employees because the government is no longer spending money with the space program.. so that has been a big dent for us here. I wish the best for your dad.. I have owned my company 9 years now and I definitely need to adapt to the changing economy or I wont make it either..

7. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Just give the shot for Shipping fever (can't think of the name!!! ) beforehand and they will be fine.... however, I really hope your doe kids before you have to move..... that probably would be stressful on a bred doe..... although I transported a HEAVILY bred doe from OK to Southern LA/ TX border last year and she handled it like a champ. She had healthy kids 1 1/2 weeks later!!! :) As long as they have hay, water and probios.... they are good to go.

I do 3000 mile trips with my goats and they are no worse for the wear. Heck... they are so cozy and spoiled rotten in the trailer that they seem to enjoy it. :slapfloor: :slapfloor:

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what kind of transport will you have? that makes a big difference for the comfort of the doe.

9. Idahodreamer

Kennels, unfortunately. I am going to try and see if my dad is going to buy a camper for his truck------ or make a wooden crate to set on a trailer . . .

10. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Oh... that is very true Stacey. I do long trips with mine but they are in a 2 horse trailer bedded down thick with shavings. I even set up straw bales so kids can have jumping toys when we make stops! :lovey: Plus, some prefer to lay on them during transport.

Even if you don't have the option of a trailer though.... If your does are leash trained a 700 crate plus long walks at rest stops will work. :) Or a camper shell on a truck would work very similar. :)