The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your goats have access to your barn, are they allowed to roam the entire barn or just the stall they sleep in or ?

Thus far our 2 new ND's have free roam of our entire barn. This is posing a problem because the wether is jumping the livestock gate leading in and out of the barn (previous fix only lasted 2 days). He sees this is where we enter and exit so he wants to follow when we leave. So for now, if when we're not in the barn him and his sister must stay locked in their stall.

I need solution ideas. Either hot wire with a gate kit just inside the gate to keep him from jumping or cut off all barn access and leave their stall door open for them to browse having access to just their stall.

Ideas? Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Welcome to the world of jumping nigerians!! We had a doe last year that could clear 4 1/2 feet through an open window to get to the chickens. We now have one less window! Had to board it up.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unbelievable. Why did she want to get to the chickens? We have chickens and so far everyone is getting along well. Pls don't tell me they'll start harassing my chickens!

·
Super Moderator
58,145 Posts
My goats have always only had a stall available. Not the whole barn. Previously they had a 12x36 stall. Since we moved, they have a 15x26 stall.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Welcome to the world of jumping nigerians!! We had a doe last year that could clear 4 1/2 feet through an open window to get to the chickens. We now have one less window! Had to board it up.
Haha that's crazy! My ND doe scaled a 4 ft fence out of her pen. After a lot of fence fixing we now have goat proof fencing lol ;)

Anyway, though I used to give them access to the whole barn but it was too much trouble.. I just give them access to a stall that way there's less for them to get into. I just close it at night so I know they'll be safe.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So how do you keep your goats from getting to the rest of the barn? Any gate I put at the back doors, he will be able to climb/jump over.

ciwheeles--can you tell me about your goat proof fencing? This is next on our list. I'm thinking livestock grade charger and 1" or 2" poly ribbon strung at nose height around our fenceline. What have you don?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
So how do you keep your goats from getting to the rest of the barn? Any gate I put at the back doors, he will be able to climb/jump over.

ciwheeles--can you tell me about your goat proof fencing? This is next on our list. I'm thinking livestock grade charger and 1" or 2" poly ribbon strung at nose height around our fenceline. What have you don?
We were using metal T-posts, but after she got out we had this type put up.

image-3359044097.jpg

It's not as cheap and easy to use as the t-post fence but it's high enough she can't jump and strong enough she can't get it to lean enough so she can scale it. Adding a charger could stop any issues you have but I've never used one for goats so i don't know.. My knowledge in that area is limited to horses! Lol. To keep them in their stall we have doors like this

image-3265819823.jpg

It's a horse stall door made from scratch out of plywood, and 2x4's. It's absolutely goat proof, there's no way to jump or climb out, plus it looks nice ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Love the stall door! I'd bet my wether could scale your fence, though. He'd get a hoof-hold half way up, then climb the rest of the way. That's what he's doing to our livestock gate, which we've attached goat fencing to. Thanks for the picts!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts