Goats and Cats

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Josey521, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Josey521

Josey521 New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Reno, NV
    I haven't posted much on here since I signed up...been too busy with the holidays and then I got sick! Bummer...anyway, in December I went to the Humane Society and picked up five feral cats to put in my barn. I had a cat earlier in the year last year and he was really annoying and he was lonely, so I found him a home where he's a spoiled indoor kitty. Anyway, the minute he left, my barn started getting overrun with mice again! So I got these feral ones. They've been locked away in the middle stall, which isn't used for about a month now. The goats didn't see them during this time. Well I started letting the cats in the barn aisleway at night a week ago and this weekend is their first time being let out of the barn. This morning, I let my does out to play for a bit (their pen is still covered in snow and they won't go out into it!). And one of the cats, Joe, isn't actually a feral cat (he was supposed to be!), he's very friendly. So he sauntered out to see the goats. Well the goats took one look at him, started snorting in alarm and stamping their feet. He walked right up to them (stupid cat) and the older does took the lead, with the younger ones staying behind. The older does stamped their feet at him and then Gigi, the herd queen, took off after him and tried to give him a good head butt, luckily he was too quick and made it to safety! Anyway, the gaots always amaze me with their reactions to things. They obviously thought this cat was a threat and it was interesting how they organized themselves to fend off the predator. And I don't think Joe will test the goats again!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    They are amazing.... :greengrin: I have one doe... that is the brave one...anything new... she is the first one.. to see it and she will start to walk right up to it snorting at a... slow pace...stomping...meaning business......and chase it off if she feels it is a threat... .... of course everyone as you said... follows her.... saying...at least I'm not first... LOL the chickens.... :ROFL: they do watch out for themselves...that's for sure...

Your cat will stay away ....lesson learned... :wink: :hi5:

3. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Mine will try to pound the cat into the ground. They don't run, they go AFTER things, dogs included.

Attack goats...

:laugh:

[​IMG]

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Too funny...LOL ...the goat is saying" I'm armed and dangerous...and ready to pounce...".... :greengrin:

5. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I have one barn cat. He's more or less a stray male who's taken up residence here. I just love him because he's so loving. Some of my goats are curious about him. Others could care less that he's there and I have one who will charge him and has been known to kill a kitten in the past before I got her. So I love having him so that we don't have rodents and snakes as bad and he's sweet. I still worry about a goat hurting him. But he is smart and avoids them being too close so it works well.

6. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    Your cats should be just fine, as long as they are quick on their feet :chin:

Seriously though, they will adjust to each other, at least they should. It took a bit for my goats and the cats to accept one another, but 3 years later some of the cats live in the barn and others go out and sun themselves in the goat pasture with the goats, lol. Most of the time it's live and let live with them, but that's just mine.

7. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

We have 3 barn kitties. SeeSaw, Halo and Onyx. SeeSaw and Halo came from the Humane Society and Onyx was a rescue from a lady that was so tired of her because she was "stupid". She complained that she kept getting in the house and no matter how many times she threw her off the counter of the kitchen she would come back. :shades: Onyx happens to be the smartest cat Ive ever had. Sure, she got in the house a few times but we calmly took her back out and after a few tries she stayed at the barn. She loves to be in your business which I dont mind. But the best thing that she has learned is to jump from my horse's stall wall on to her back. Or from the wall to my back or from the horse to me! She'll do that from anywhere where its possible! I LOVE my cat! :love: She might be pregnant though..... :shocked: Shes either getting fatter here(she was pretty skinny when we got her) or shes gonna have kittens.

Our cats cant go out with the goats. We have LGD's that will tear them apart. :(

8. Josey521

Josey521 New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Reno, NV
    I think if I were that cat in that photo, I would steer clear of that goat!!! Those horns could be dangerous to an unsuspecting kitty! My goaties are disbudded so the cats won't get stabbed! Cha Cha is my little scardy cat (pun intended!). She normally gets the others all freaked out because she's running around like the cats and the dog are going to kill her. Annie is my brave one, as is Gigi. Gigi is the queen though, so bravery is expected from her. Annie is just seven months old, but she's always been very brave about everything. They are so funny.

And on another note, I saw the remnants of at least three or four mice in the barn today!!!! Woohoo kitties!!

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    :leap: yay!

pur cat- Giddy is good with mice, but I saw one out in the shed yesterday.... :roll: lazy. :wink:

10. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

I have 3 barn cats, 2 are super feral and only come out when I am the only one around - and only for food or water. These two go into the buck pen to drink their water and Courageous acts all big and like he's going to either butt them or try to mate them...sneezing and burping and grunting and such. My third cat is pretty friendly and is always with me when I am out there working. Naturally he finds his way into the does pen. Most of them ignore him. But Porsche, my smallest girl and definitely the lowest in the chain of command, will turn her head at him like she'd butt, "bark" at him, and stomp her front feet! He just stares at her like "yeah, okay, sure..." :roll:

Before I got my cats I had mice all over! They were digging wholes into the cement floor of my feed room! :shocked: They would dig tunnels into barrels of hay and set up shop there - so nasty! But I haven't seen a mouse since the kitties got here. I made sure to get all my cats fixed since our humane society has something like 300 cats that need homes - why add to the problem ya know?

11. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
    We have one cat that loves the goats. When our herd queen was sick last year that cat stayed with the goat for 2 days, she wouldn't leave her side. After the doe died she stayed in the barn for another day and layed in the same spot. Then she decided to have kittens in a box that had 7 baby goats in it. Luckily none of the kittens got stepped on. When the kittens where about 6 weeks old she took them out to be with the goats. She knows when a goat is sick and will not leave their side. We have caught her grooming them like another cat.LOL

12. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    That's pretty funny :p

Our doelings are pretty interested in our barn kitty. They just stare and sniff. No charging danger for Cullen yet. lol

13. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    Feets the shed cat is a ten YO calico I got from the Vet when I took one of my Pyrs in. She was small enough to fit in a small teacup! Her two daughters, Toes and Claws, are the best mousers that I have ever seen. I heard the yard dogs raising a ruckus one night and went out to the shed and found them both with a possum cornered up and weren't gonna let it go no where! A good shed cat is very hard to find cuz ours don't mess with or in the feedstuffs or hay. I know some folks who's cat would go bathroom on the feed bins and soil the feed, causing their goats to get toxoplasmosis, a bad disease for goats to get.
    Feets is still very small. She is a long haired cat that looks bigger than she is. If she weighs over a pound and a half that would be something. As light as a feather!

14. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    One of my cats thinks she's a goat! She had rather be out in the barn, in the pen with the goats than with the other cat! If the boys are outside she is right out with them........crazy cat!

15. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    My Angora girls share a yard with turkeys and the toms have become protective of them. If anyone new enters the yard, both toms follow the newcomer(s) closely and doG help anyone or anything they perceive as a threat to theirs girlies, turkey or goat. :shocked:

My goats' response to perceived threats is to flee. When dog-breaking them, every now and then the two res does would turn and try to butt my choredog. My choredog loves confrontation so started soliciting butts during our training sessions. :GAAH: To remedy that, I changed my dog's job to not working the goats. :) Now that the goats have gotten accustomed to her, they let her join in and do tricks for treats with them. So cute!

We can't have barn or outdoor cats lest they fall prey to Harris Hawks, Greated Horned Owls and coyotes. All of our poultry under 10 lbs is kept in fully enclosed habitats or aviaries for this reason. We call our two housecats prisoners of love.

Deb Mc

16. rabrag

rabrag New Member

Nov 27, 2009
    I only have 1 goat, a gorgeous 4-month-old Boer girl I have hand-raised since 1 day old. I am hoping to get her a companion goat soon. Since soon after she came here I carefully started mixing her with my other animals sometimes. She interacts extremely well with my cats, rabbits and hens. One of the hens reacted against her initially, tried to chase her away, but that passed within a few times of combined free ranging rather than either being in their own specific environments and now all is well anywhere. The rabbits were a bit nervous to start with but now browse around nonchalantly while just making sure they are far enough away in case she does one of her fast light-hearted flips which would squash them. The cats have been very interested since they got over their brief initial strangeness/curiosity (2-3 days), and now mix with her easily and a couple will actually take a ride on her back. I have seen the goat asleep curled up with cats or rabbits, and even with both together as all my cats are pet cats not barn cats and do not attack the rabbits.

Till now my goat has roamed free around my 3-acre property except for being penned at night or if there are trucks etc around. I am going to have to lose that companionship though before I lose the last of my roses, vegetables & other plants! I will miss her then, she is a lovely pet.