Goats and Chickens???

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Willow's Meadow, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    I might be getting two goats this summer but I have chickens. I have 4 Brahma hens, 6 Buff Orpington hens and 1 Brahma Rooster. If I get the goats they will be living in the same barn as the chickens but the chickens have their own coop in the barn and the goats will have their own stalll in the barn.....so they will be seperate. But would it be okay if the goats and the chickens were together outside in the pasture??? I don't have a ton of pasture space so I was going to put them together...I mean I have enough pasture space but not like a ton(like a 2-3 acres but I not enough fencing for seperate pasutres lol). Would they get along??? Does ayone else keep chickens and goats in the pasture together???

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    my mom's chickens are always in my barn and in their pen -- I hate it but so far it hasnt caused to much problems besides their poo attracting flies and them tormenting my goats. They also rake through the bedding causing all sorts of mess, lay eggs in the stalls. But thats normal chicken behavior

3. Allipoe

Allipoe New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    My bucks and chickens live together. Only thing I am careful about is keeping the chicken feed away from the piglet goats. Also the chickens have a habit of making the water gross faster since its oh so lovely to perch on the edge of the trough. >.< Bleck. But otherwise they all get along fine.

4. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    My goats loved my chickens and vice versa.

5. naturalgoats

naturalgoats New Member

Jan 2, 2011
    I think you will be fine with them sharing the pasture.... It might actually be good since the chickens like breaking up the goat poos which will both aid in decomposition and maybe help keep parasites down.... the only reason I don't like the chickens sharing is the poo in the barn....(and when they lay eggs in the goat manger merry eats the eggs). It sounds like you have separate indoor spaces though so I think you'll be fine.

6. nubians2

nubians2 New Member

I have a rooster and one chicken with my goats. The rooster has a bum leg and the chicken is an egg eater so she can't be in my coops. I keep them with the goats to help clean up any spilled feed and they kept the grasshopper population down last summer. The chickens other options weren't so good and the goats don't seem to mind them. I have to feed the chickens by throwing out the feed to them while the goats are eating their grain. I had feed in the back of a rabbit hutch for the chickens but I came home one day to find my 100lb wether inside of the rabbit hutch (all four legs). Dork! So that ended the free feeding for the chickens. I have even seen the rooster laying ton my wethers stomach. My problem lately seems to be the cat. My pregnant doe attacks the cat any time she goes in their pasture. I am not really sure what that is about.

7. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    We have about 10 hens and 2 roosters that stay with the goats. Our goat barn is pretty large [428 square feet for currently 6 goats], so the chickens have a set of roosts in one corner of the barn. It getsd a little messy under there, but the goats just never go under there. The chickens eat any spilled goat feet, plus corn outside the pen. They drink the goat's water.

8. KatieT

KatieT New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Minnesota
    They should be just fine. I have a very similar set-up to yours - they each have their separate area in the barn, but the chickens free-range out with the goats. They don't seem to mind each other's company. My chickens love picking apart goat manure, scratching through the bedding, and eating any spilled grain after milking. I am sure that they help lower parasite levels in the summer. If you can, keep your goat waterers and mineral feeders in areas where the chickens can't perch above them, or they will dirty them very quickly. And make sure that the chicken feed is in a place that the goats cannot access it.

I have a couple of Buff Orpingtons too - they are big sweethearts!

9. tomie

tomie New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Ohio
    My chickens will sit on my goats back and ride around while they are out in the pasture. I do not like them in the barn but that is because I do not like the mess they leave around the goats. I have lost a couple hens because my goats have stepped on them but they get along really good. It is kind of cute.

10. naturalgoats

naturalgoats New Member

Jan 2, 2011
    can we see some photos tomie?? :)

11. tomie

tomie New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Ohio
    lol I will try to get some and post them. I will keep an eye out and get one.