The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was wondering if anyone can give me advice on coats. Do goats need coats? My girl is 6 months old and we have winter on the way, so I've been looking at getting her a coat as I assumed she'd get cold??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cont... I went to a saddlery shop the other day and asked if they sell coats for goats, and was rudely asked why I'd want a coat for a goat. Was like I was an a idiot! Did make me wonder though, does my girl need one? If so, I won't be buying one from saddlery!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I often wonder the same thing. I dont know if i would coat the older goats, but young kids, do they need coats? I was thinking if the goats had a coat on, they wouldnt need to expend so much energy keeping warm, so they wouldnt require extra feed?

·
Super Moderator
59,742 Posts
For the most part, goats don't need coats. I do put coats on kids if they are born in the winter and need it. Also sometimes a sick or elderly goat may need it. For the most part, straw and a draft free shelter should take care of it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She actually sleeps on the back veranda with my dogs, sometimes in the kennel or just on blankets - she acts like my dogs as she was raised with them. She's a funny girl. So much character. Guess that's why I thought she'd need a coat cause my dogs do. Thank you

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
I think they do just fine without them, but my 2x two week olds wear jackets at night because they were used to living under a heat lamp or inside so they don't do so well. It's getting to around 5-10 degrees celcius here

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
Where do you live, how cold?
We don't get snow either.

When my kid was cold, he wasn't as playful, stood mostly still, sort of hunched, shaking a little bit.
I think by 6 months they should be able to handle it, they get used to it like we do. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In Australia. The temp can drop to about 2 degrees Celsius, occasionally lower, during the night in winter

·
Registered
224 Posts
We have very cold winters here and as long as they have someplace to get out of the wind and weather they do fine. I actually have a couple Igloo dog houses that they love.

·
100 Posts
My goats have coats! We live in sunny California, but we can have some drastic changes in temperature and weather conditions especially in the spring when our show season begins. After we body clip and if the weather turns or if a wet wind blows off the ocean, I snuggle them into their coats. I hauled a friend's goats from California to Wyoming and I used the coats to keep them from becoming goat icesicles. Since they were not used to the below zero weather, I kept them on for a few days even after we put them in the corrals. My daughter made the coats from material she had on hand and we have used them quite a bit. We can get down to 15 degrees farenheit on some winter mornings and if they have full coats, a nicely bedded barn and each other to cuddle with they don't ever need their coats. I included some pictures of our Wyoming trip of the girls with and without their coats.

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Last winter here we were down to minus 8 F (-22C) where we live. I never had to put coats on the goats. They were between 9-10 months old at the time. My neighbor's 3 year old Nubian, however was shivering so they put a coat on her. Their other two (one nubian and one alpine, both less than a year) were fine. Some times it just depends on the goat too, I guess. In most part, they don't need coats.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I agree with kids in the winter. I bought a sheep sheet. We'd had several weeks of mid 80-mid 90's, so I did my body shave. Typical here all of a sudden we had two weeks of colder rain. :rolleyes: I had one doe who didn't even want to come out to be milked and was shivering bad so I put the sheet (I sprayed water repellant first) on her just to take the chill off.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,481 Posts
I live in Maine and we don't use coats for our goats, even though the winters can be cold and long. If they have a shelter to get out of the wind and wet, they should be fine.

However, we just went to an ADGA show this past weekend. Most owners had shaved their goats for the show, but the weather was windy, wet and in the 40's (F). THOSE goats needed coats and most had on t-shirts or simple, home-made fleece blankets that fasten at the neck and in front of the udder. Most of the owners had also blocked the wind with tarps to protect them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you everyone for your replies. I will see how my girl goes and if I see any shivering, then I think I will get her a coat. She's a sook so she may not like the cold weather! Guess I'll find out! Thanks again

1 - 19 of 19 Posts