goats and collage?

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by goatshows, Nov 30, 2010.

1. goatshows

goatshows New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    MA
    Has anyone had goats during collage? I am going to collage in a year and a half and have no idea what to do about how to keep the goats and go to collage too. Has anyone done it? If so how did you work it out? Its so stressful to think abouth things like this... :GAAH: :hair:

2. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Im in college, been going since fall of 09, its kinda hard but ive managed to make it through. Theres no way I would sell my goats just because of college, but maybe if you feel overwhemled you can sell a few....

3. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

I would suppose a huge part of it would be if you have someone that can help you out. I think I see Laura posting about her mom helping out quite a bit. Also, location would be a huge factor I would think..would you be local or far away from your animals?
    You can always try it out to see how it goes & if it just doesn't work out, you could think of selling or leasing out in the future.

4. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Ya thats true, I have my mom to help me when I am away, but im not very far from home, so thats also a big thing. If you are going really far away, maybe you could ask a friend or do what Karen said and lease them

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    If you stay at home and go to a community college for the first couple years keeping the goats would be very manageable. If you go to a university close to home you could also probably manage with a bit of extra help from supportive friends and family. If you're going to be at school some place where it won't be practical to come home at least a couple times a week, it would make more sense to lease your goats to someone or sell out.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    It really depends on how far you are going to be from home. I would never expect soemone else to take care of them. I know this is not going to sit well, but really College is way more imoportant. You can always get more goats.

7. goatshows

goatshows New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    MA
    I am hoping to go to a local collage. If I do go to a university then the one I am looking at is about an hour and a half away.