Goats and Garlic ?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Dee4, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Dee4

Dee4 Active Member

Hi there,
    Read mixed articles on goats and garlic, I know garlic is from onion family, and onions poisonous for goats.
    But I was giving my kids 1/3 of a clove daily, but then was told not good, but others now said it's fine, so I've started to give one clove a day, they love it and seem fine.
    I am hoping Garlic will help with immune system, and to ward off any Mites etc.
    Any opinions are welcome.
    Hope you all keep safe and well.

MadHouse likes this.
  2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Onions aren't poisonous for goats.

Onion & Garlic is a dog and cat issue.

For years I have been giving goats high doses of garlic.

MadHouse and Dee4 like this.

3. Dee4

Dee4 Active Member

Arh thank you for your reply, as a new mummy, Iam probably reading too much, but I must say the forums have been amazing, it has taught me a lot, and Iam more confident now to go by my mummy instincts too. Thank you

GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.
  4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    The hardest thing about raising goats is all the different opinions on their care. Stick with this forum and you cant go wrong. Even though we can have different ideas..we can at least discuss those differences and readers can make a educated decision based on the whole picture.
    Garlic is a wonderful herb for goats. We feed our herd garlic and it helps build immune systems..repel lice..helps with internal parasite control..its good stuff.

5. Dee4

Dee4 Active Member

Thank you so much, yes you are defo right, and this is a great forum to be with, I hope in time to be able to help other readers too. Take care love from U.K.

6. Nigerian Dwarfs

Nigerian Dwarfs Member

Aug 25, 2020
    washington
    Just to clarify, you feed your goats garlic to boost their immune system? Also, what type (frozen, chopped etc.). I am a sort of new goat owner (about 4-5 months now...) and this forum has given me a lot of help!

7. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Garlic is for immune boosting. If you can whole fresh cloves are good.

Iluvlilly!, Moers kiko boars and Dee4 like this.
  8. Dee4

Dee4 Active Member

Hi, yes Iam New too, only about 3months, I have learnt a lot from this forum too, giving me more confidence to trust my instincts too.
    Having had equine in the past, given them garlic, my hens too.
    I give the kids fresh clove garlic, outer skin too, they love it.
    My hubby made me a brill grooming station,with gentle head lock, trimming hooves so much easier and safer for me and the kids.
    Thank you and take care

GoofyGoat and Iluvlilly! like this.
  9. Nigerian Dwarfs

Nigerian Dwarfs Member

Aug 25, 2020
    washington
    Thank you, all of you! I will look into getting them fresh cloves of garlic. Is there such thiing as too much garlic for them?

10. Dee4

Dee4 Active Member

Hi, Iam not experienced enough to know about giving too much garlic, only had my kids three months, but the forum had helped me a great deal, and thank you all.
    I go by instincts as much as possible, monitor the kids on their feed including treats and garlic, I give them daily only one clove each over two feeds, I think it’s the same for us, too much of anything is not good? But other readers might give you better advice, take care

Iluvlilly! and Tanya like this.
  11. Nigerian Dwarfs

Nigerian Dwarfs Member

Aug 25, 2020
    washington
    Ok, will keep an eye out on the forum, and thank you for your opinion!

Dee4 likes this.
  12. Nigerian Dwarfs

Nigerian Dwarfs Member

Aug 25, 2020
    washington
    Also, speaking of immune system, can goats get covid? If so, is it dangerous for them?

13. Dee4

Dee4 Active Member

Your welcome, Iam sure you are a great goat mummy, I don’t fret as much now, but do worry bit now my wether is defo boss over my doeling, don’t want her to get hurt

14. Dee4

Dee4 Active Member

I don’t know about covid, nothing has been reported in U.K. on animal transmission etc of covid, hope you keep safe too

15. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Too much of anything is harmful. I say if you want to assist the immune system in general 1 or 2 cloves a day. If your goat is ill increase to 4 for the duration of the illness. My garlic is choped so my babies get a table spoon a day for 2 of them.

Dee4 likes this.
  16. Nigerian Dwarfs

Nigerian Dwarfs Member

Aug 25, 2020
    washington
    Ok, thank you All so much. will see is I can start giving it to them...thank you!

17. Dee4

Dee4 Active Member

So I give my 8month old one clove each daily, and sometimes bit more now and then. What age are your babies?

18. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Like anything, if they eat too much, it may make them feel unwell. Not because of garlic, just because if they eat too much of anything it isn’t great!

Goats seem to be fine eating up to 10+ garlic cloves with no ill effects (things like a stomach ache). I max out at about 6.

You’re not going to “overdose” like you would a medication, it isn’t that technical - and no, it’s not like a dog or cat either, where too much will poison them.

wheel-bear-o and Dee4 like this.
  19. Dee4

Dee4 Active Member

Thank you and take care

20. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I’d go by the old adage “ a clove a day keeps the vet away!” ;)

North FL Nana and Dee4 like this.