goats and hay

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by moday, Mar 13, 2009.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    My goats typically live on pasture all summer. They are 3/4 boer and 1/4 alpine. Is that ok? Our pasture is mainly grass with some weeds. No alfalfa. I only hay them in the winter, as we live in Michigan. Is that an acceptable approach?

I believe that I bought 2nd cutting hay last year too. Is that also ok? Do most goat owners feed 1st, 2nd or 3rd cutting? What is better, grassy or alfalfa?

Thanks, MODAY

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah that sound good as long as they look good and arent getting sick or looking like they need food :)

as to the cutting I like to get second cutting but I take whatever is available :thumb: This year I have first cutting last year it was second which was so much better!

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am like stacey.... sometimes it is ...taking what is available.... :wink:

your goats do need roughage in the summer time to...just sometimes throw out some hay for them...it helps to keep there rumen functioning.... If they need to gain weight then feed Alfalfa...also if they are pregnant they need better hay...

Alfalfa is better for the goats, but it doesn't hurt to feed them grassy sometimes.

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    For non-producing goats (wethers, dry does) as long as they are staying in condition, pasturing is fine. The vegetation here is quite rich, but I would still be sure to offer loose minerals or one of those mineral/protein blocks. For rainy days, when the goats are inside, it would be good to have some hay available.

Again, for non-producers grass hay is fine. I like to get 2nd cut or later because there is less waste and the goats like it better. I usually feed good grass hay or a grass/alfalfa mix until the last 2-3 weeks of a doe's pregnancy and then I switch to hay that's mainly alfalfa--milking does get alfalfa as well until it's time to dry them off.