The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 ND goats (all disbudded and weathers) I am looking into getting a few mangalica pigs. Does anyone know if these critters can live together happily?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
I have 4 ND goats (all disbudded and weathers) I am looking into getting a few mangalica pigs. Does anyone know if these critters can live together happily?
Thanks!
Goats are prey and pigs are predators. Most likeLy not. We got some young piglets this spring and tried puttin our goats in with them just to forage for the day. It was a big ole no go. The pigs could have cared less but the goats were nope goats. The pen they were in was way big enough for them to not have met in but just see each other. My wether braved jumpin a four ft hot fence to get away from piglets that were not even up to his knees. And as large as the mangs get there is just no way i would put grown hogs with the goats.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have no idea how mangalicas would deal with goats.
But I do have goats and pigs together at my farm. BUT my farm is very weird. I have a sheep that thinks he is a herding dog and I have 2 pigs that think they are goats. I also have a cat that lays on chicken eggs. My pigs even eat out of the hay feeder and lay down on the ground for belly scratches. I just have to make sure they are never around any goats kidding since my gilt tends to try to eat the placenta and the kid when its covered in blood. (My husband works with pigs and said that it isnt quite what he would call blood fever but since pigs are omnivores they will react to and eat blood since to them it seems like an easy meal.)
Since you only have wethers you wouldn't have to worry about that but I dont know how they will react. Every animal reacts differently under any circumstances.
Plant Fawn Grass Terrestrial animal Snout
Light Lighting Sheep Landscape Snout

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Not sure about Mangalicas, but I wouldn't risk it. I got a old spot 2 years ago. At the age of 7 weeks, he broke out of his pen and killed 5 chicks i had in the barn. From that minute he was a devil. He killed a few adult chickens, he killed a couple of rabbits and the worst part which cause me to slaughter him at 7 months old. He tore the side of the barn down (it was thin walls so kinda my fault too) and he went after my 6 weeks old bum lamb. I remember going out to feed her and the coat she had on was on the ground covered in blood. He was running around with her skin. She was still alive but the skin off her face was gone and she had holes all over. I put a bullet in her and immediately went and put a bullet in the pig. That is one of my worst memories on the farm ever. I still have that same coat, torn and bloodied, as well as pictures of her and her bottle nipple on a memorial shelf. This is just my experience with pigs, i know some people have had luck keeping pigs and other animals together, but i really wouldnt risk it unless it is to be kept FAR away from the goats.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I have bad experiences. True enough, I have seen piglets play nicely with goat kids, but later on one of those kids fell into the pigs' box, and that was the end of her. I only refound the scull the next morning.

On the other hand, there are old sayings of "herding pigs", who actually defended the sheep flock against wolfs! The trick was said to be to let the very young piglet grow up among the sheep, and so socialize with them rather than with other pigs. ("Think they were sheep"!) These pigs, usually males, were said to wear big iron collars with sharp nails outwards, to protect them from bites.

But I guess this was during a time when usual people knew lots about animals that they did not know they were knowing, maybe there was more to this than I have heard. Much knowledge went to waste when people moved into cities.

·
8,495 Posts
I am not permitted to have pigs on my property as I ship milk. Apparently there can be bacteria that "could" get in the milk if pigs are present. (There are a lot of strange rules governing milk production and shipment).
Even if you have no milking does now, maybe in the future you will, so this was just something to keep in mind.

·
Super Moderator
14,801 Posts
What the biggest issue with mixing animals is, each has their own body language of when they want to play, are annoyed and royally ticked off. So if the pig gives a friendly warning that they are annoyed the goats are not going to realize it and then have a royally ticked off pig on their hands. I have tried to let pigs and goats live together and was lucky it didn’t end badly. Pigs teeth are so very sharp and goats skin is so thin that it things went bad it would go really BAD! The pigs I had were just babies when I first got them and were allowed to go where they want when they wanted. They would snuggle with the babies and it was adorable. Then when they decided they wanted the goats food it wasn’t a friendly hey let me share with you, they pushed in and if the goats didn’t move they were being attacked. They went after the does when they made milk and even bit one of my bucks testicles. I got rid of the pigs before it got to be too much of a habit for them.
I do now have more pigs and I will let the one out which is into the goat pen but not unattended. It’s just not worth it

·
Super Moderator
14,801 Posts
Maybe I should add that some of my best friends have been pigs, they can make wonderful pets.
I agree! I love pigs! I love my pig I have, she is almost better then a dog and is so very smart. I just don't trust her teeth with the other animals lol and I defiantly don't trust my goats not to make her mad. Heck I love my goats and they make me mad almost every single day lol

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Dog or pig, they are both good. The pig's nose is for sure more effective than the dog''s, whatever people believe. Tricky thing might be to teach a pig not to eat what she finds when being trained ... I have heard of (but not seen myself) pigs working for the police or customs, searching for narcotics.

But, as said, not recommended in the same pen as goats, sheep, chicken ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts