Goats and sheep together?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cjpup, Jan 10, 2008.

1. cjpup

cjpup Guest

Dec 1, 2007
    Hi!

I have a herd of 13 pygmy goats and 3 donkeys. Some people near us our moving and have to seel their Dorper and Dorper cross sheep. i have a few questions though:

1. If I get only one lamb wether, will he do ok with the goats?

2. If I decide to get a breeding pair, can the goat bucks breed the ewes and vice versa?

3. Is bottle feeding a lamb the same as with goats? Just different milk replacers?

4. Is there anything else I should know (except about the copper thing...I got that down!)?

THANKS!
    CJ

2. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    1. If you only got one, he might be okay if he is raised with them from a lamb, but he'd be happier with at least one other lamb.
    2. It's an INCREDIBLY slim chance but it's not a good thing to chance so during breeding you'd want the female away from your bucks.
    3. I'm not completely sure on this as I've never done it myself but I think so.
    4. Um...they're more easily spooked than goats, hooves don't need trimmed as much, Dorper is a hair breed so you shouldn't have to worry about shearing, that's all I can think of right now.

3. cjpup

cjpup Guest

Dec 1, 2007
    ....How slim? Has anyone had a sussecful Sheep-Goat Kid/lamb or whatever it would be?

CJ

4. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Yes there's been a "geep" alot of time they will conceive and then abort the baby, it can also harm the mother.

5. cjpup

cjpup Guest

Dec 1, 2007
    The little buckling I was talking baout taking as a ssingle and wethering is 3 weeks old and still on mom. Would it be really hard to get him to switch to a bottle like it is in goats? or are they so stupid.......they wont know the difference? LOL!!!

In light of that new "geep" knowledge, should I not keep my sheep and goats together? Will it harm my does to be bred by a ram??? If so, how?

CJ

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Answer to number 2: The only possible way for a goat and a sheep to get pregnant is if it is a ram and a doe. Sheep have 60 chromosones and goats have 54 chromosones. Very rarely will a doe that has gotten pregnant by a ram will carry to full term. Most will abort 2 1/2 months along. Those that do carry to full term(and very few), you get 'geep' which is supposed to be a super hybrid(geep have 57 chromosones). Personally, I wouldn't want to be messing with nature and things that are to be left with God :wink: But, for the health of your does, it is best to keep the ram away from them.

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I don't know I have some friends that run a herd of fourty sheep including a ram and a herd of ten goats including a buck together in the same pen. The sheep are a lot bigger then the goats as they have pygmys but they set it up so that there is a gap in a fence into a smaller pen that the goats can fit in and the sheep can't so they have the minerals set up in there. They have never had a problem with the ram breeding does or vice versa.
    beth

8. cjpup

cjpup Guest

Dec 1, 2007
    I dont want to harm my does or even have the SLIGHTEST chance of harming them in anyway so we have decided to just get this little wether. Here is my delema:

The people we are getting himf rom will be moving and they need to sell their herd. Right now, this lamb is 3 weeks old and still on mom. I am having a hard time with the ethics of pulling him off his mom to bottle feed but then again, in the 9-10 weeks he will remain with them, if someone whats him to bottlefeed, they will sell him to them instead of us. Also, lets say he is 7 weeks old and they sell there house and need to sell him ASAP, I imagine it will be much more difficult to get him on the bottle. What do you guys think about this?

Also, does anyone know how to bottle feed a lamb? how much and when?

CJ

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I can't help you on that one but isn't there a sheep forum? like mylamb.com or something I think.

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sheep need more milk then goats per feeding I believe. I would find a sheep forum to ask some questions.

i know there is a forum on http://www.homesteadytoday.com

11. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    You will have a hard time getting him to take a bottle. I had to put my twin on another ewe to eat after their mom got to full and starting mastitis when they where only 2 days old they would not take a bottle even though they where hunch up and hungry. To me sheep are much hard to raise on a bottle. For me it a last ditch effort. I've kept my ewes and does together. I've never put the does in the same pasture is the ram they may not conceive but the ram will try if they're in heat. To me it just not worth the possible problems. Shelly

12. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    I have two sheep in with my eight goats. They do fine. They are ewes. My goats are 7 does one pet wether. Some of the goats butt the sheep but they don't seem as emotianally injured as the goats are. They are basically pets but we may breed them someday. I do like goats more than sheep though, sheep are MUCH harder to tame.

13. Sara

Sara Guest

Oct 4, 2007
    I have heard that you shouldn't keep rams and bucks together because if they start to fight the ram will always win and could seriously injure the goats. The rams, well they ram and bucks go up on their hind legs before butting.

14. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I rescued a bottle baby lamb one year. I worked at a dog kennel and tey had sheep. They found him laying on his side half dead in the field. They knew i had goats so they brought him to me. I took him home and raised him with my goat babies, he took off and grew really well. we found a pet home for him and he lived a happy life.
    beth

15. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    You will have a VERY difficult time convincing a lamb of three weeks of age to drink from a bottle. Call it stupid or stubborn...but to bottle feed a lamb normally you have to have taken it right off the mom, before he has had a chance to nurse at all; or at the least with in 12 hours of birth.

As far as feeding lambs require more fat than goaties do in a formula, so although you 'can' feed him goats milk, cow's milk is a HUGE no no...they will literally starve to death. With goat's milk, I still mix regular lamb formula with it, to ensure proper percentage of fat.

Now, back to your dilemma, why not take ewe and lamb? You can always sell the ewe, or give her back after the lamb is old enough to be weaned (8-10 weeks).

16. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I completely agree with Mystic's_mom on this one. Lambs are hard to seperate from the ewe. (when I got Lyric my ewe had a lamb and man was it hard to wean him!)

17. cjpup

cjpup Guest

Dec 1, 2007
    Ok well, I got a 12 week old weanling ewe that is 3/4 dorper. But she does this really weird thing. She bobs her head up and down constantly expecially when she's excited or stressed. Is this normal? Will it go away?

The guy said he did some research and found that some sheep just bobb their heads but I cant find any info on it. What do you guys think?

CJ