The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have three whethers (Saanen)in the pasture and it will soon be time to bring them in closer to the barn for winter. How do goats fair in the cold? We have a shed for them so they can get out of wind. How do they do in snow? We will have a water heater to keep water from freezing. I plan to feed grass hay and some goat feed from tractor supply over winter. Do I need toys for them..something to crawl up on, etc...?

Thanks for any info

·
Super Moderator
59,255 Posts
It is nice to give them something so they don't get too bored. They need to be able to completely get out of the elements.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
They need a space that is draft free and dry.
Toys help to not be bored. Platforms are good to lay on if your ground is wet during the winter. You can also make a good layer of thick bedding if you're dry otherwise. I don't know where you live or how cold your winters get.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I live in Connecticut very close to the shore and the last few years have been really bad with hurricanes and blizzards but the goats always do well. I wouldn't feed grain to wethers unless it's treated for UC. They stay in a 20x20 shed I made into a little barn for them... A couple of old wethers and a doe....I shovel paths for them to get around to their toys and spindles they like to be in the sun and get warm. Also I have a large dog house out in their pen and they will all squish in there from time to time. But as soon as the sun sets I close them in the barn and you be surprised how warm it stays in there. The water only freezes on extreme days. I live the winter with them. They love to follow me around as I shovel paths for them

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
We have a barn that the does are closed in a night or blizzards. The bucks have a cozy little shed that is closed on 3 1/2 sides. The goats do better in snow than rain, we just leave their toys outside as they can go out during the day.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We live in Nebraska so winter can be a mix of bitter cold and warm temps. What is it that I should be concerned of with the grain and whethers? When I say grain I am referring to pellet feed by DuMor. Mix in a bit of sweet feed with the regular?

Here is a picture of the boys, Huey, Dewey and Louie I will see if I can send a picture of the movable shed I built.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
If you use meat grower you wont have to worry about uc as it has ammonium chloride in it. We dont feed our wethere any grain but if you fel they need to gain weight go with the meat grower.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the whethers would be fine on just grass hay? If so I may need to buy more. I was hoping that between hay and some feed we could make the winter.

Here is the movable shed.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
59,255 Posts
Their whole diet needs to be at least 2:1 calcium to phosphorus with going up to 2.5-3:1 calcium to phosphorus even better. So if you use grass hay, you need to know the calcium and phosphorus levels and then adjust the levels with supplements. You can feed them alfalfa pellets to increase their calcium intake. Usually grass hay isn't balanced for them and tends to be more on the phosphorus side but that depends on the type of grass.

You can also get ammonium chloride and give it to them once or twice a week. I would not add sweet feed. The pelleted feed is better. If anything, add some alfalfa pellets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts