The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here's my run down. I got two nubian goats in April female 9 weeks male 7 weeks. My female's (annabeth) vulva was pink and swollen. Didn't think anything about it because I was told it was impossible till about 4 months old to breed. So I'm thinking she's prego waiting on labs to get back. Then I got a new doe around the same age about a month later. These two does have dermatitis so I'm treating them with iodine spray. It's getting better. Then I get this whether and his momma that I am keeping till baby (Percy) is weaned. She starts dropping weight like crazy. I increase her fees and nothing. She starts having loose stool. So I took a sample in. She has worms. They gave her something before she came to my place. I think she was just so stressed and in a new environment she was an easier target. Well I checked the rest of my herds eyelids and baby was really bad. My doe that might be prego was bad and that rest not as bad but still not as pink as they should be. Mi treated them all. So now my question is how do I put weight back on my nursing doe that's not mine and my doeling that may be prego? Is there something I can give th for the anemia? I apologize if things look a little jumbled together I'm isualing my phone. Thanks for any advice!
P.s. in between the worm prob I also got a doeling that had overgrown hooves I finally got to where I could trim them and nicked the quick on one. I put this foot rot solution on it and packed with cornstarch and she has been babying it and not walking on it.

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
P.s.s. I spent the entire day sterilizing everything yesterday. I do normally do this anyway but I was even more diligent. I am spraying every feed bucket and water bucket with bleach in between each time I use it. Usually I just do the feed buckets once a week and clean the stall ounce a week. But I'm doing everything daily. I also picked up some stall mats that I can keep cleaner than the dirt floor. Until my hubby pours my concrete floor for me.

·
Super Moderator
58,875 Posts
Since you have a vet, I would have blood drawn on your 9 week old and send it in to BioTracking to see if she is pregnant. If she possibly is, that is very serious. That is WAY too young to carry a pregnancy and there is a very big chance of complications. But I would find out for sure if she is even pregnant first.

B Complex shots and Probios are always good to give. Make sure you have a good loose goat mineral out.

What exactly have you done so far for treatment? What dewormers at what dosages? You are going to have to get the parasites under control before any weight will go back on mom. What worms were found on the fecal test?

As far as increasing feed, you always have to do that slowly. But you can add alfalfa pellets, calf manna and shredded beet pulp to help put on weight.

If you are in a selenium and copper deficient area, I would also give them BoSe and Copasure.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since you have a vet, I would have blood drawn on your 9 week old and send it in to BioTracking to see if she is pregnant. If she possibly is, that is very serious. That is WAY too young to carry a pregnancy and there is a very big chance of complications. But I would find out for sure if she is even pregnant first.

B Complex shots and Probios are always good to give. Make sure you have a good loose goat mineral out.

What exactly have you done so far for treatment? What dewormers at what dosages? You are going to have to get the parasites under control before any weight will go back on mom. What worms were found on the fecal test?

As far as increasing feed, you always have to do that slowly. But you can add alfalfa pellets, calf manna and shredded beet pulp to help put on weight.

If you are in a selenium and copper deficient area, I would also give them BoSe and Copasure.
She is actually 6 months now but they had been together up until he was 4 months. I am waiting on test results to get back. I have manna pro loose mineral but i dumped it out to clean the bucket. I was afraid to put it back out and it get contaminated. I did sprinkle a little bit on their food. I already have been giving my girls 1 cup each of alfala daily and my nursing one a total of 3 cups half in am and half pm. So I will continue with that and maybe gradually add some beet pulp. The fecal showed stomach worm and round worm. The vet gave me ivermectin inj to give by mouth for Lucy my nursing doe. Not sure on dosage though. I gave the rest of them 5ml's of safeguard including the baby (Percy). I moved them out of their barn and field and moved them to a temp shelter and another field. I disinfected everything and am letting it all dry out and die off till I move them back. So I will check on vitamin b shot. Is there something for the anemia? The only two that seemed to drop weight was the nursing doe and the possibly pregnant one. So should I just give them the vitamin b shot?

·
Super Moderator
58,875 Posts
Safeguard should be dosed at 1cc per 10 lbs. So if your goats were 50 lbs, that is great. If they actually have worms, it needs to be done for 3 days in a row and then do another round 14 days later.

You can give Red Cell. 6cc per 100 lbs.

I would go ahead and give the B Complex shot. You should also reworm them in 14 days from the first time to make sure you get all the parasites.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok great so that was correct dose but didn't know about the 3 days and to retreat them in 14. I will go out and do that now! Thanks for all the great advice!

·
80 Posts
I think I read somewhere on here that molasses is good for anemia, hopefully someone will come along and post the electrolytes with molasses recipe in it for you. I think the molasses has iron in it too. Gad I hope I'm right on this one.

·
Registered
30,588 Posts
Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
30,588 Posts
I would redo fecal after treatment to be sure your wormer is working for you.

for anemia

Red Cell 6 cc per 100#..daily for a week then once a week until color returns
Vit B 12 shots daily or B complex PLUS which has a good amount of 12 in it
high protein feed, alfalfa and green leaves all help rebuild red blood cells

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/anemiaingoats.html

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Yes you can do Molasses but the red cell is faster.

As for the Prego doe. How old was she when she was bred? She might be 6 months old now but how old was she when she was bred if she is bred? That is still not a good thing. Do you know for sure if she is Prego?

Make sure you have the correct weight on the goats before you give Safeguard. They have to dose with the correct amount or it can really do more harm than good in the long run.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the recipe! Also the first goat (Lucy had ivermectin inj by mouth that I got from the vet. Do I need to give her anymore?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes you can do Molasses but the red cell is faster.

As for the Prego doe. How old was she when she was bred? She might be 6 months old now but how old was she when she was bred if she is bred? That is still not a good thing. Do you know for sure if she is Prego?

Make sure you have the correct weight on the goats before you give Safeguard. They have to dose with the correct amount or it can really do more harm than good in the long run.
I'm still waiting on results to come back from biotracking should be next week. Yes I do know that it's not a good thing. Thats why im so worried about her. I have no idea when she would have been bred. I was told that it couldn't even happen until they are at least 5 months old.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts