Goats are sick, everyones getting better! PICS!!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by TinyHoovesRanch, Nov 27, 2010.

1. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

So my juniors have been fighting a sickness, of course they havent been showing any signs of being sick!

My doeling Lotus looks bloated, so I wormed her with the exact right amount a few days ago, yesterday I saw her and she still looks bloated and you can feel her backbone a little, but its alot better then before, shes acting fine and has her energy.

Now, my other junior Beverly, who is younger but already passed Lotus up, had a tinsy bit of runny poo. I didnt see her poo but when I went into the pen I looked at her butt and it had a little bit of poo on it. But she is acting normal and isnt bloated at all

The only goat I have that even looks bloated is Lotus.

So im wondering if I should move them into a different pen, the pen they are in just seems like its bad luck for baby goats. I had my buck Jasper in there and he was fine but as soon as the babies go in there they all get sick. When they were in the big pen with my other girls everyone was so healthy and happy.

Maybe they need more space? The pen they are in isnt very big, so maybe I should let them run free with my other girls?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Re: Ugh......my goats are sick

May be cocci... have a fecal done.... for both cocci and worms... :hug:

do they have free choice baking soda?

3. TinyHoovesRanch

Re: Ugh......my goats are sick, I want to give up :(

I called the vet, they said they are not available until next week.

Now Lotus is going down, shes super bloated.

The other 2 are in a different pen, they are a little bloated too but we did just feed.
    What can I do to make them not bloated?

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

you can put some baking soda and water into a bowel....mix ....... syringe it up....... and slowly give it to the goats..... also give.... probiotic paste.... it helps their rumen .... get back in check ...do it for 3 days....if you can't get that ...get yogurt and feed to them....

Also.... what are you feeding? Anything with molasses in it ...or Rich Alfalfa?

Feed a less rich feed(hay)....with what you are feeding.....wean off the rich a little at a time.... you can still feed it but give less.... and cut out any molasses.....

Are they really extended ....way above the left ribs..?

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

give them baking soda

mix in a little water with the baking soda to make it a pasty "ball"

keep giving it till you see results -- you will hear them burp see the sides become less pronounced

6. TinyHoovesRanch

There are getting grass hay that has some clovers in it. I stopped feeding alfalfa because it was too rich for them.

They never get any molasses, I have given then nutri drench but not for a while.

Checked the girls butts and no diahrea. Just seem a little bloated, but we dont feed alot, and we already wormed. They are in a different pen now, by themselves away from the rest of the herd.

What kind of yogurt would work? I dont have any probiotic paste but can I buy it somewhere?

They are both snuggled in there house for the night, sleeping, can I wait until morning to give them baking soda?

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

clover bloats goats... if given to much....try a different hay...mix it in with what you are feeding and slowly wean them back from it... to a happy medium...

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Oh and it's plain yogurt....

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

if they are bloating then they can die from bloat so I would give them some baking soda tonight and check early tomorrow

10. TinyHoovesRanch

Ok but its like grass hay but it looks almost like straw. It barely has any clovers in it. They used to have alfalfa but we decided to stop.

Could moldy hay be doing this? We noticed a couple bales had a little mold but we dont feed them the bad stuff,I throw it out.

Ok we put some baking soda in there and they ate it, they arent like really bloated, they look like what all our goats look like after they eat dinner.

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Hmm.... :chin:

Mold of any kind isn't good..... if you can smell it... or ...if it is really dusty.. if you tear it apart is bad..... it can bloat them.... If you suspect... the feed... I would change your feed and see....

Is this the first time.... they got baking soda? If so... make sure ...you keep it out free choice at all times...it keeps their tummy in good working order and helps with bloat....I am glad..... they are going for it... they know their bodies need it..... :hug:

12. TinyHoovesRanch

I have noticed a couple bales were dusty, this is the first time we have ever gotten bad hay like that. Im thinking maybe thats it then, I willget rid of the bad bales, and see if theres anymore mold around. Its weird though, only the goats that were in this small pen are the ones getting sick. My girls in the pasture are fine, maybe because they get to eat grass?

They all have baking soda and minerals free choice, but because its been raining and I havent been home, my mom forgot to refill the pens. They all love the baking soda and always suck it up.

The 2 girls seem to be fine, a little bloated but that was it. We are going to give them more stuff tomorrow. I talked to the vet monday and he said hes booked until sometime next week and that he would have them call me. These vets suck!

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Are the only ones that are showing the bloaty belly and bony spine the young ones?
    If so, I am extremely concerned that you may have a cocci problem, the damage has been done but with corrective measures they can be back to full health. I have seen the effects of cocci with different kids, some never show the signs but do become unthrifty looking. Have a fecal run, they may show more than just the normal few but not enough to be overloaded, you may need to put them all on a treatment then a prevention.
    Keep the baking soda out for them as well as fresh water. A worming schedule and being able to keep their area free of the contaminated poop once they rid their systems of the parasites would prevent reinfestation. Changing their diet for the better should be done slow and if you feel they need some extra meat on their bones, I as well as others have had success with Calf Manna mixed with the normal grain ration.
    I really hope your goats are better soon :hug:
    As I mentioned in the beginning of my post, I do think these kids have a cocci problem...being confined to the same area when this happened before, they are reinfecting themselves.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I think it is cocci as well Liz..... as that is what I suspected with my earlier post response....but .... Laura ..TinyHoovesRanch...mentioned her vet.. cannot do anything about the fecal ....as he/she will be gone for a while....so not fair..... when you need answers now.... :hug:

Laura....are their any other vets around....any of them... should be able to do a fecal.... for you.... :hug:

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I'd tell the place where you got the hay from that it is moldy...they should replace it with good hay.... Any mold is bad for a goat and can even kill them...so be careful.... :hug:

16. TinyHoovesRanch

The 2 girls that are left, arent bony at all, they are at a great weight. Maybe I got them in time?

They seem fine, very happy and snuggled together in a different pen, they one they were in was my buck pen but the girls can escape from my big pen, well they used to be able too, Im sure they are big enough now. We are going to rake out that entire pen and let it be empty for a little while, maybe even disenfect it.

The only thing that made me worried was the girls,Adelle and Beverly were a little bloated, but when we saw them they had just eaten and they always look fat after they eat.

I called my vet numerous times last week, kinda got yelled at. I guess they are dealing with alot and dont have anything available until thursday or friday.

Luckily Adelle and Bev look good right now, they were both eating and drinking and now they are in a fresh new pen, Im wondering if we should let them go in the big pen? Everyone is very healthy in there and they are all over 2 years old

Ive been giving them Calf Manna, these 2 dont look like they need to gain weight. I will get some pics of them tomorrow

We called my hay person and let him know, he said he did have alot of rain get into the barn, but he promised the hay he will bring us wont be bad, and it was only a couple bales

17. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

I agree with liz. All goats get cocci and if they are confined to a small area that isn't frequently cleaned, cocci can become very overwhelming. I don't know what the weather is like where you are, but wet/rainy/snowy/cold weather can make matters worse.

As others have said, give them baking soda. Make a water/baking soda paste, take a syringe, put it in the back of their mouth and make them swallow it, you don't need a whole bunch though. Even if they aren't bloating, this won't hurt them.

I think the bloating you are seeing isn't actual bloating, I think this is a worm and/or cocci problem which gives them a hard rounded belly especially after eating. I have seen this many times before in kids where they are thin, you can feel their backbone, and they have big rounded bellies that gives them a bloated look.

Have you tried Baycox? Some say it works amazingly, some say it hasn't worked for them this year, but i've been using this all year and my kids are fat, growing really well, and have fluffy shiny coats. If they show any signs of cocci issues I give them Baycox and the next day their stool has gone back to normal and they start looking normal and happy again. If I were you, i'd worm them today, treat for cocci in a couple days, then next week give them some probios.

Don't give up...I know I felt like giving up a few times before. I was SO close to selling all my goats and focusing on my horses, but I stuck it out and am so happy I have. Hang in there girl!

18. TinyHoovesRanch

Where can I buy Baycox? They arent bony at all, they arent showing any signs of being sick or anything, So Im not sure if they have gotten Cocci?

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

With the issues going on right now....... I don't know.... if I'd expose them... to the healthy 2 year olds...... if it is cocci... they will all be exposed to it..... if you put them in... the same area.... I'd wait on a fecal..... I'd get one from one of the healthier ones and the weakest one..... :hug:

20. TinyHoovesRanch

I cant tell which of them is weaker, maybe do 3 tests? the 2 and then one of my older girls in the big pen?

Where can I buy Baycox? It sounds effective