The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
With the warm weather, there is so many new plants for my goats to eat! I love it! I was curious about just how much grass I should allow my goats to eat if there is a limit.
My goats love grass, but I read they should not be used as lawnmowers... We have areas that are tough to mow, so I was wondering if it was okay for them to keep those spots low? I have a moveable fence I move around from spot to spot for them to eat grass.
They are not being raised solely on grass of course, they still have their hay, grain, and loose minerals. They have been eating significantly less hay since they've had access to green.

·
Registered
30,112 Posts
Alot of fresh tender greens can cause scours and rumen upset. I would set them out to graze after a good breakfast of dry hay and allow time to let the dew burn off the grasses. Then set them out for a few hours. You can try increasing the time out slowly to allow their rumen to adjust. Have more hay ready for them when they come back in.

·
Registered
30,112 Posts
Also make sure nothing toxic is growing 😉

·
Registered
355 Posts
Once the wet weather drops off they will move out and really start grazing.
Right now they search out new brush, shoots, wind-blown young leaves and then beg at the gate.
The mamas of the weaners cannot believe that I feed the babies and not them.
I know they are not really hungry because there is half an uneaten goat block out there!
I just cleaned out the hay feeders, except in the small pens.
It's nice to move past winter slogging and baby-ing into the more laid back seasons.
They never graze enough that I don't have to bush hog.

·
Registered
30,112 Posts
Sometimes we have to actually mow the goat area!! The look like their grazing..but I think it's a hoax lol

·
Registered
217 Posts
Sometimes we have to actually mow the goat area!! The look like their grazing..but I think it's a hoax lol
I have to cut my pasture once or twice a year. The goats do not eat much of it. They go to different parts of the pasture at different time of the year. I guess it depends on type and age of grass available at any given time. But yes at the end of the day there is not a significant amount of grass missing. In our lower field there are a lot of blackberries. I've watched them eat blackberries for a while then leave and eat some grass (a few mouthfuls) and then go back to the blackberries.

·
Registered
30,112 Posts
Blackberries are Crack to them lol. We pick all the berries for ourselves and bring vines and leaves for them. Thankfully BB do not grow in their area or we wouldn't get any fruit.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I think what I gathered is that goats can be used as lawnmowers, but their grass consumption has to be gradually increased and that they aren't the best at clearing grass.
Does anyone know the nutritional value of grass?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have never had mine tested. My goats are solely on grass and forage from about a month after green up until killing frost (except for late pregnancy until weaning). Right now they are starting to chubby out and coats are slicking off. They are not even hitting the minerals much. Part of that is our short, mild winter -- Louisiana!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hello all!
With the warm weather, there is so many new plants for my goats to eat! I love it! I was curious about just how much grass I should allow my goats to eat if there is a limit.
My goats love grass, but I read they should not be used as lawnmowers... We have areas that are tough to mow, so I was wondering if it was okay for them to keep those spots low? I have a moveable fence I move around from spot to spot for them to eat grass.
They are not being raised solely on grass of course, they still have their hay, grain, and loose minerals. They have been eating significantly less hay since they've had access to green.
I think that the only reason they should not be used as lawnmowers is that they need to eat brush. My goats have lots of grass and trees, but they prefer the trees. They still need to eat grass, and I don’t think grass is bad for them... they need to eat other green things also. Make sure you deworm them lots, since the worms are in the grass.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
You know. Deztiny and Gizmo are totally free graze in pasture. They get sweet feed for breakfast and sweetfeed for dinner. I supplement only in winter. They do have access to loose minerals. I give cut veggies and treats once a week. But then I am in South Africa. My two barely make a dent in their paddock and I must still cut it down. They looooooovvvvvveeeee weeds and leaves and branches.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts