The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About an hour an a half ago at 3am my wife woke me up. We hear Prince, our (1/4 boer/1/4 nubian /1/2 angora) buck yelling and he sounded pissed off! I run out to find him battling it out with three neighborhood dogs that somehow got into our yard. They had been going at it for a little while before we heard the commotion. As I was trying to chase the dogs off Prince circled around put his back to me and fronted off the largest of the three dogs a german shepherd, to keep it off me I'm assuming.

With the interlopers successfully routed I came back to check on Prince, Belle, and Snow White. ( Our daughters named them) Belle and Snowy were perfectly fine, Prince protected his does beautifully so proud of him. He has some punctures at the base of his right ear, a few on his neck, a couple on right rear hock, and is favoring his left front leg as well. The punctures all appear to be shallow only one that had any blood is on the ear and there was very little at that....but a lot of dog saliva.

I was able to put some antibiotic ointment on the ear and neck. He is exhausted naturally. What else should I watch for with him and over how long of a period? I will post pictures if I can once it is light out. Here is pre fight pics of Prince until then

View attachment 40501

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah if those dogs ever venture back into my yard that will probably happen. Prince is doing good though he seemed glad I was sitting out there afterwards and was laying near me resting. I am going to be looking to see where thise dogs live and their owners will be getting a knock on their door!

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Start him on an antibiotic and keep wounds cleaned daily. Dog bites can get seriously infected even if they aren't too bad.

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
Keep on the lookout, because the dogs WILL be back. It is just the nature of dogs. When they find something 'fun' or 'tasty', they can't leave it alone.

I am glad your Prince and girl are OK. What a fitting name for him, he IS very regal!

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Glad your goat is ok. Along with everything else suggested, I would probably give him a shot of Banamine and B Complex and some Probios.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now the sun is coming up I can see there are not as many punctures as I first thought. He does like as if he went 10 rounds with the champ and held more than his own! Thank you everyone for the advice I will keep posting his progress. He is pre

ForumRunner_20130911_065833.jpg

ForumRunner_20130911_070528.jpg

tty sore right now wheich is to be expected but he looks damn good for going round and round with three dogs for at least a good 20 minutes which was almost his same size.

Attachments

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
what a brave boy.

just really keep those wounds clean and dry. maybe shave off the hair where he was bitten so it'll be easier to clean and you can take a really good look to see what's going on.

·
8,161 Posts
The stress might be the biggest worry. Can you put them in at night until the dog problem is resolved?
Good luck to you! (Beautiful boy, by the way!)

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
Poor guy. :(

If the dogs were on him for a while, he most likely has deep puncture wounds, excited dogs don't bite lightly when an animal is being attacked.
Watch for scabby and smelly area's for a while. You may have to shave the area's of any wounds. If you find them clean and flush with iodine/water, make a light tea color with it.
Just doing topical creams, will not fight dog saliva bacteria if they are really deep punctures. Sometimes we don't see the punctures until they festure.

If he hasn't had hid CD&T for a while, give him one or just a tetanus shot.

I agree with antibiotics for a week,flushing punctures, giving probiotics and a fortified vit B complex shot. No grain until he is acting better and not shock like.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My wife is a nurse she is trying to clean the wounds now but he is not cooperating so much for her. I think he is a little freaked out by the cups she has with warm water and warm soapy water. He is not eating anything except a couple of bites of alfalfa...I understand he is still stressed and a little in shock having a few little adrenaline dump shivers still. Thankfully his mo-hair Is starting to come back In making his coat pretty dense, I think that helped him a lot. I trained protection sport and agility dogs for years....all we have right now are two beagles though. Sounds like a good way to talk the wife into a Malinois puppy again or even an Anatolian. That will keep the dog issue solved once I handle it initially.

My brother in law is coming over to stay with them while we are at work. Hes also going to have our paintball guns turned up and at the ready incase the villans return.

Tonight when I get home I will shave the areas and reclean them with betadine. Where is the least expensive place to get the anti-biotics, b complex, probiotics, etc? Anyone in So Ca Norco area know of the best place to go?

Again thank you everyone, I greatly appreciate the input and advise! We are newer to the goat world....raised bred and trained many dogs but these are our first goats other than relatives who have them but live far away.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
You might want to give him electrolytes. Happy bleats recipe is really good. It will give him energy which he probably needs.

If you don't have a feed store around then Tractor Supply should have all of that. Sorry, I don't know your area specifically.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes he is a brave boy! I was impressed with how he even went as far as to protect me too. The German Shepherd lunged at me with a half committed lunge and was met head to head with a wicked head butt from Prince! The sent the GSD tail over tea kettle.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have about 10 feed stores within 5 blocks....I was just wondering if anyone from the area has experience with which one is better for goat issues

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Please tell me you called the sheriff? If not, you need to do it right now. You need it documented. You need the sheriff to go have a talk with your neighbor and maybe you go along. They need to be informed that they are going to pay for the vet bill. Call the vet out and see if he/she can be there in short order so that the sheriffs can hear from the vet the kinda damage was done. Explain to the sheriff the dogs were also trying to go after you when you tried to stop them from attacking your goat. I can not stress how important it is that you do this. If you goat comes down with a major infection due to the dog bite, which it very likely can, you need to have the law on your side or you are going to pay outta pocket. Not to mention if you dont confront the neighbor, they wont know and wont take steps to keep their dogs in. Which, even in county is not allowed. If it were me, Id also let them know, if their dogs entered my property again, they will be shoot.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Best advise I can give you is >>>

Write down everything that happened. Take pictures of all three goats, where they are kept and your fencing.

Then, take pictures and keep any receipts for any first aid items you HAD to buy for this.

Then, take nice clean and very clear pictures of any and all wounds on that buck. Before and after you have shaved the areas.

Call your local law and tell them what happened. Ask about laws and getting copies of the laws about predator dogs. I always had a copy of the local laws in my goat file! Needed it several times over the years! By doing it this way you will have a firm case if it ever goes to court. Had that happen several times also over 40+ years of raising stock.

If and WHEN those dogs do come back and you are forced to do what needs to be done ... you and yours will be protected!!

Never think that after you do what you MUST to protect your stock that that dog owner will NOT come after you with both barrels, and it will end up in court. Some dog owners think it is their right to allow their dogs to come and go wherever the dogs want ... and even kill your stock. After all they are ONLY BEING DOGS!

As a pet owner and lover, as a stock raiser and owner, as the person who worries and cries over the loss of any of my stock or pets ... I do have the right to expect ... and demand ... that others pay when their animals kill or maim or scare my animals on MY PROPERTY!

Have a paper trail already in your hand when you go find those owners of those dogs! And, when you speak to the law. And, make sure you can legally shot any predator dogs on your place BEFORE you do so.

Good luck! Shoot straight!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
TDG and Desert Rose thank you. I work for one of the local Sheriff's dept. But my hime is in the next county from where I work. I have aleeady been printing up the penal codes. I do have to find out the municipal codes for the county where I live. Had I known it was dogs when I first went out I would have packed heat. Hind sight and all... I am still trying to find out which neighbor/s these dogs belong to. I tried to follow them ready to beat on someones door at 3am who most likely does not speak english LOL. Thanks for the info I will be having a Deputy respond tonight when I get off work. You are right it is always best to have law enforcement aware ahead of time to straighten out the legal issues. My wife let me know that our male beagle went out and ran up to Prince a little while ago before she could stop him....Moose promptly got rammed so that tells me Prince still has some wits about him....might take him a little while to warm back up to Moose and Maggie our beagles.

Our two does seem like they have very little stress over what happened....which is good because I believe both of them may be preggers right now. Again thank you everyone for the advice and well wishes! I am so glad I joined this messageboard you guys are a wealth of knowledge....and it is greatly appreciated.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts