Goats bloated?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Adalynn, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Adalynn

Adalynn New Member

Oct 31, 2020
    Connecticut
    I'm new to ND goats and inherited 2 quite by accident. They're adorable and about 12 weeks old. They were very skinny when we got them about 2 weeks ago. We took them to the vet who just gave them a quick look over and suggested we come back since they were terrified of even us. They clearly had no human contact prior.
    We took them home and fed them alfalfa hay and Dumor grain. They look like they ate footballs. They move around alright and their poops look normal.
    They've substantually warmed up to us, so I called the vet regarding the obvious weight gain. The vet suggested we switch to timothy hay and lay off the grain altogether. I'm wondering if there's anything else I should be doing. The vet just seems so passive.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  2. YouGoatMe

YouGoatMe Well-Known Member

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    Is your vet very experienced with goats? I haven't had much luck with any that are very good with goats. The first one basically said "good luck, sometimes goats just decide to die". I would see if you can have fecals run on them so that you can treat them for worms if needed.

When I first got my little ND goats I would go out in the barn for an hour or two at a time and just sit there talking to them. It took a while, but eventually they got used to my voice and presence and now they jump on me at feeding time and one even willingly comes up for head scratches!

I will leave feeding advice to the experts here. I have gotten more help and advice on this forum than from any of the vets I tried btw! This is a fantastic resource and everyone here is so nice and helpful!

GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.

3. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Welcome to TGS!
    Congratulations on your new goats they'll grow on you in ways you'll never believe. Patience is important when dealing with new and young kids. As suggested just hang out with them and they'll warm up.
    It's going to seem like I'm asking a million questions but to help, we need certain info.

Ok, they're about 3 months old, were they just pulled off momma or had they been weaned?
    Are they bucklings or Doelings (girls/boys)
    Did the vet give them their CDT vaccines?
    Did they have coccidiosis treatments?
    Did the vet do a fecal? ( check for worms)

Feeding can be complicated and also depends on the answers to some of the above questions as well. I just don't want to overwhelm you so let's take it in steps.

BTW...we LOVE pictures and promise to tell you how adorable they are :)

Adalynn, Iluvlilly! and MadHouse like this.
  4. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Welcome to TGS!
    Are your goats does or bucklings or wethers?
    If they are wethers, it would make sense to switch to grass hay, maybe that is what the vet meant. But even then, he could have explained it a bit more. Any switch in food needs to be done gradually to avoid rumen upset.
    The round bellies could be just full rumens. It sounds like they are not acting off, which would be the case if it was bloat.
    I agree with @YouGoatMe to have fecal tests done, just because they moved and the stress can cause worm bloom. There are labs that you can send hem to, like MeadowMist.
    It would help if you could post pictures of your goats.
    Happy to have you here!

Iluvlilly! and GoofyGoat like this.
  5. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Where are you in Texas (in general) because there's a lot of Texans who might be able recommend someone in your area. I'm between DFW and Waco and I have a couple of really good vets. PM me if I can refer you.

Iluvlilly!, YouGoatMe and MadHouse like this.
  6. YouGoatMe

YouGoatMe Well-Known Member

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    I'm near the Houston area. We eventually found a vet that we like. I wouldn't say that she is the goat whisperer or anything but I am happy with her so far.

Iluvlilly!, MadHouse and GoofyGoat like this.
  7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    With the vet’s suggestion to lay off grain I am assuming they are wethers.

If they are skinny/were skinny, you need to get a fecal test done for parasites.

Never judge a goat’s weight by their stomach. Their rumens get full after eating and it can look like they swallowed basketballs. This is actually ok. As long as they aren’t in distress and it fluctuates up and down, it’s just the rumen doing its job. To actually check their weight, you have to feel for their ribs, spine, and hip bones!

As for feeding, if they are wethers, this link contains a good chart to go off of:

https://thegivinggoat.home.blog/2020/08/18/diets-for-male-goats-how-to-prevent-urinary-calculi/

YouGoatMe and Iluvlilly! like this.
  8. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    When you do fecals, Take a baggies, try and catch their poops before they hit the ground. Take a small handful (15-20 pellets) to the vet for a fecal test. Tell them they need to run a fecal for parasites and coccidea. If you don't ask for the coccidea, they may not run it. Any vet can do a fecal. It doesn't need to be a goat vet.
    Since you probably will collect the poops and have to wait until the following day to take to a vet, label each bag and set in the fridge. Don't freeze the samples.

Congratulations to the wonderful wild and wacky world of goat ownership!

Adalynn, GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.
  9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. Adalynn

Adalynn New Member

Oct 31, 2020
    Connecticut
    I'm having a tough time with vet appointments. Only one in the area routinely sees goats and she didn't do a fecal. She did something for "parasites" according to the bill. No vaccines which shocked me, but she's aid she wanted to wait and to come back next month. but I have the vaccine, ordered 18 guage, 1 inch needles and think I could manage even if I don't want to. (I hate being the mean one)
    They have warmed up quite a bit. They're hysterical and now spy in my basement windows when they're bored. Their bellies still seem large to me but they eat well. I have a call in to get the deworming, but it wasn't returned yet. Is that something I can do myself? 20201025_140405.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    MadHouse likes this.
  11. Adalynn

Adalynn New Member

Oct 31, 2020
    Connecticut
    I'll get this done this week. Thank you

MadHouse likes this.
  12. Adalynn

Adalynn New Member

Oct 31, 2020
    Connecticut
    They are doelings. I posted pics when replying to another post here, so I'll save the server space. Thanks for the advice. I didn't know about parasites and will get it done this week.

MadHouse and GoofyGoat like this.
  13. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Awww, they're adorable little ladies! If your vet said she did something for parasites then she might have wormed them already. I'd call and find out exactly what she used and the dosage. Chances are she checked their lower eyelid and saw their FAMACHA score was low and treated it accordingly. I'd also ask her reason for delaying their vaccines.

Do they seem thinner in the morning before feeding and after their hay seem larger? If so it's probably just a hay belly which is perfectly normal. Some of my girls look like they swallowed a small football after eating or browsing then it goes back to normal later. I call it the happy rumen look.

You're doing great hang in there.

MadHouse likes this.
  14. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

They are so cute!!!! I am glad to hear they are becoming curious!

GoofyGoat likes this.