Goats & Bunnies

Discussion in 'Other Animals For Sale' started by Julie, May 1, 2008.

1. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Will goats & bunnies get along ? My goats and cats get along really well ~ they even sleep together. But what about bunnies ? I'm asking for a couple of reasons ...
    1. our daughter has wanted bunnies for a while now
    2. I was given a rescued baby bunny today to care for

A lady I know from church called me today and told me that her cat brought her a "prize" ... a little tiny baby bunny. It's VERY young - most likely only a couple days old because it's eyes are not even open yet - and they normally open by approx 6-8 days old. She didn't know what to do with it and immediately called me. She asked me if I'd want to take it in because she'd hate to just see it die from lack of care. So of course ... I couldn't resist. So it's here, staying warm and happy. I've been doing lots of research about baby bunnies, etc. and have been doing everything that I have learned. I don't EXPECT it to thrive ... I'm prepared for whatever happens. I know it's so young that I'm not sure how good it's chances are ... but it is drinking from a tiny bottle that I have, and I'm giving it goat's milk. So since it's drinking ... that made me feel a little better, but I'm still not getting my hopes up. ANd probably won't until it's a few weeks old.

Anyway, IF this kit survives ... I was thinking of building a cute bunny "play house" INSIDE of my goat pen ... and putting up smaller fence (like what's made for rabbits) along the bottom of my goat fence the whole way around. This would give the bunny access to my entire goat pen and to it's own little "house." Which means it would be in with the goats.
    So that's why I'm questioning if it would be safe with the goats or not. I assume it would be - since the goats are fine with the cats, but wasn't sure. Oh and of course I wouldn't put it in the pen until it's bigger ~ my cats would get it or it would get stepped on by the goats, so it will be in the house until it's bigger ~ atleast 4 or 5 weeks old ~ or maybe even older.... I would just "play it by ear."

So any opinions ?
  2. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    don't know too much about rabbits
    i mean
    my daughter breeds them for fair but they are market rabbits and we just buy a big buck (flemish giant) and a big doe and breed them april 22 for may 22 babies
    once upon a time i rented a farm with 200 acres
    someone gave my daughter 2 flem bucks
    we started out putting them in wire cages but the cage was too small
    they got out one night but never left so we left the free range
    never had a prob and we had goats, horses, and cattle then

3. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    I had two bunnies in with my goats a few years ago and they did great. When I fed the goats I would throw down some feed for them to eat so they wouldnt jump into the goats feed. The bunnies ate what the goats ate grain and hay and it made it easy. I wormed the bunnies when I wormed the goats due to the bunnies being on the ground and not in a pen off the ground. I don't see a problem other than making sure the bunnies are safe and can't get out or they can be hurt or killed by dogs.
  4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Julie, that baby should do well in your care, they do thrive on goat milk...I found that out 2 years ago when hubby ran over a nest with the mower...3 babies that I raised and set free...I would think that keeping them with the goats wouldn't be a problem as they basically eat the same thing....and make bunny berries too...theres no "diseases" that I know of that are transmitted to goats by rabbits...treat the bunny for fleas the same as you do your cats too. You can use cat products on rabbits.
  5. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    The tiny thing doesn't eat very much - just a few sips. Then again, it is tiny - so I GUESS that's normal for it's size :?

Here's a couple pictures of it ...

It is doing well so far :)

It's in a closeable shoebox ... I have a towl around and under a large heat bottle, and then a smaller towel layed out over the water bottle where the baby lays on to keep warm. I "tuck it in" so it's like a nest, and I semi close the shoe box (I have a couple little holes in for air, and it's not closed all the way anyhow). Then every hour or so I get it out, try to bottlefeed it (and it only drinks a few sips) and wipe it's hinney with a rag and get any poo off of it's butt ... and then gently stroke it's body with my finger to help stimulate it. It's been sipping it's bottle, and pooing ... so it APPEARS to be doing well, but I still am not getting my hopes up until it's a few weeks old ~ it's just so small and fragile, and so I'm not expecting anything ... just TRYING. :)
    I'm even afraid to name it ... so I've been trying to keep that out of my mind.
    Jasmine is thrilled with it ... but she knows that it could die.
  6. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    It looks to me like a baby jack rabit, not a domesticated breed. He/she is cute!! If he/she lives for more than a week, I would suggest you look into a rabies vaccine for it. You can call a vet to see if they will sellyou one for a baby rabbit. Even though its only a few days old, you have no idea what has gotten to it since or if the cat that dragged it in is utd on rabie vaccines. Be sure to wash your hands really well after handling it. Rabbits carry a lot of Zoonotic diseases, expecially wild ones.

Wishing you all the luck in the world!
  7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Julie, that is a brand new baby, most cottontails babies leave the nest by the time they are 2 weeks old, this baby can't be more than a day or 2. The biggest thing I found hard to do was to get them to eat without aspirating, and makes sure you clear any milk from around it's nose...I have had 2 die from aspiration pneumonia....I do hope that it survives , for Jasmine's sake.
  8. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Yeah I know it's a newborn :) I knew it right away - it was obvious being that the baby was so small, didn't have it's eyes open, and only had "velvet" ...and not fur yet. It was probably about a day or two old when I got it in my care.
    Their eyes open between 6-8 days. And it's eyes still haven't opened yet ... and I've had it for 4 days. So that makes it atleast 5-6 days old now most likely. Soon I should see them pretty eyes :D
    It's pretty fur is starting to come in to. But I can't wait for it's eyes to open ! And it won't be long now.
    I'm actually suprised that it made it so far. Since I got it SOOOOOO young and fragile ... I truly thought it would die. But it's still doing well. It does aspirate a little each time it eats. At first it didn't (when I only had a tiny tiny pin hole in the nipple) but once I made the whole a tiny bit bigger ~ that's when it started aspirating. I made it bigger though because I couldn't tell that it was really getting any milk out. And now that it's bigger ~ it's the only nipple that I have like that, so I can't "go back." But it sucks some without aspirating - then aspirates right before it's done sucking. And I do wipe it's nose with the rag each time it does that. :)

I think once I've had it for a week (3 more days to go) then I will feel more confident about it's survival and will be able to possibly even name it. But I want to make it past this week first before getting my hopes up. ALthough I must admit that now each day my hopes go up a little because it's doing so well :D

Once it opens it's eyes I will get some new pictures of it to post
  9. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Well ... instead of waiting ... I'll post a picture now - from today :D

Here's the baby bunny on day 4 (the number of days I've had it now) ...

I will still post pics once it opens it's eyes if ya'll wanna see it :)
  10. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Wow! You should be very pleased that he/she is thriving in your care. Wild rabbit kits are some of the hardest babies to raise in captivity. Please don't be too too devistated if it doesn't make it, although it's certainly past the most fragile age.

I hope it all works out really well, especially for your daughter's sake.

Keep the pictures coming... it's sooo cute!
  11. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I second what Cinder said. You have done an awesome job!!! They are really hard to keep alive, but he/she is doing so well!!
  12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    WOW Julie...that little bugger has a great chance....looks very good and healthy! GREAT JOB! :)
  13. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Julie, I too wish you alot of luck. I breed 4 different types of rabbits and once one of them was always getting out so he finally just got run of the farm, and would come when I called. People would laugh at the rabbit that didn't know what it was, dog cat or goat. Sadly he did pass away but he had a great life. Anyway as for the baby bunny don't be alarmed if it makes it too a month and passes. I have raised some and found out that that happens alot. I worked with a vet who did huge report on raising wild bunnies in something. And she said that its not really known why. I hope it doesn't happen for you and your daughter and that it lives a long life. Cathy
  14. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    He/she is a cutie, I hope he makes it :)
  15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    what a difference already. I hope he makes it for you, such a sweet thing