Goats can be special friends....

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by morganslil1, Dec 15, 2007.

1. morganslil1

morganslil1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    north carolina
    As y'all know my daughter has downs syndrome. We have a little mini farm I always wanted a milk cow but after doing some research I thought perhaps a dairy doe would be better for us. My husband had been talking to a lady at work and I had been searching the internet and a lady referred me to a lady named louise low and behold it was the same lady my husband had been talking to she invited us our to meet her herd. I walked into the pasture and this big old doe came up to me put her chin on my chest and looked me in the eye and I fell in love.Long story short I reserved a doe we brought her home and bottle fed her....My daughter fell in love. Of all of the animals my daughter has been around she dearly loves goats. So if y'all ever get a chance to introduce your goats to a special child please do...Share the love.

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    THats so sweet, thanks for sharing that, its so amazing the impact goats have in our lives :D

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    awe thats great! Animals do wonders for kids - special needs or not

4. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    That's so heartwarming! It's amazing how animals can connect with... well, anyone really. A boy with autism comes to visit the boys sometimes. He doesn't talk much to me, but he loves to talk to Pace, Shanti, and Melino! And they're so gentle with him, and they really like him too (you know how they have their obvious preferences) Then a few weeks ago a woman who we know brought her grandaughter over. She was probably two years old or so... and she told me that her grandaughter was baaing for weeks afterwards lol :D

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    That is so sweet! Animals have a way of knowing when a special child needs them, they have no prejudices and are as innocent as children themselves.

6. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    special friends

That is so good to hear, as it is one of my goals when we are up and running is to involve children and adults with Downs etc, in the care and learning about the goats. I feel that they are the perfect animals to help and encourage.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    That is great. I have a girl that is in my 4H group that is a bad case of ADD, and this year her brother has joined us also. He has seizers really bad, and he has had part of his skull removed to put probes on his brain to find out where the seizers are coming from. It is amazing how their goats have helped them.
    I just read the latest magazine of Farm animals (I think), it is GOATS. It has some great stories in it about how great goats are. Of course we already knew that.