goats do not have appetite

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goatskeeper, Aug 21, 2010.

1. goatskeeper

goatskeeper New Member

May 14, 2010
    Algeria
    hello :)

last month i had bought a new kid doe (about 6 months old) she have not appetite at all.
    and from last week until now the other two does (the lactating doe and the kid doe 5months old) have not appetite.

is there some thing wrong with my goats?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    get their temps...that will better tell us ....what may be wrong....

Also check their gum color....... is it pale or nice and pink?

How is their stool?

Smell the feed and make sure there is no mold in it ......

3. goatskeeper

goatskeeper New Member

May 14, 2010
    Algeria
    i will do that.

i am new in this, i need some experience to judge this,if you can provide pics it would be very good.

it seems good for the two kids, and about the lactating doe:the dark strings in feces i didnt see it today.

the food is good, i prepare it by myself.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    So they haven't eaten at all in a month?

What are you feeding them?

5. goatskeeper

goatskeeper New Member

May 14, 2010
    Algeria
    they eat but not much, for example the lactating doe was eating the grain mix (barley+wheat bran) with excessive appetite where she does not leave any one atom and she was eating fast.but now she eat slowly and do not finish the meal.

the program of feeding is as follows:
    - grain mix (barley:1 cup+wheat bran:2 cups) two times a day (when milking).
    - free choice hay (for now i have not good quality, must be changed soon).
    - free choice dried (dehydrated) bread.

6. goatskeeper

goatskeeper New Member

May 14, 2010
    Algeria
    i have a electronic thermometer that i use for my children. can it be used? if yes i have to buy new thermometer for my children.

i think it is not very pinky, it is very clear pink.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes....if you are talking about the digital thermometers.... we need to know how their temps are....

Can you get a fecal done on them? At Least have the doe checked....that has the dark strings in feces... They may have worms or cocci...check for both.... :wink:'

Also check for lice....

8. goatskeeper

goatskeeper New Member

May 14, 2010
    Algeria
    believe or not, when i asked a vet he told me that he does not have a microscope :shocked:

i am seeking for a microscope to do my fecal tests at home.until then i have to ask another vet to do fecal tests.

i have measured the temps of the two kids and it is as follows:
    1/ the 6 months old kid (which is the worest one,she is very very thin,the worest appetite):40.2 degrees Celsius (104.36 Fahrenheit)
    2/the 5 months old kid :39.2 degrees Celsius (102.56 Fahrenheit)

3/ the lactating doe, not yet because i have to bind her so i will do it in minutes.

i recall from a book that rectal temp of goats is in range 102-104 fahrenheit, i think it is ok.

9. goatskeeper

goatskeeper New Member

May 14, 2010
    Algeria
    the lactating doe (the queen :greengrin: ) has a rectal temp equals to 39.2 degrees celsuis =102.56 fahrenheit.

i think it is good. :greengrin:

10. goatskeeper

goatskeeper New Member

May 14, 2010
    Algeria
    i think we can take away temperature issue, right?

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Their temps sound fine, the 5 month old is higher than the other 2 though which would be a cause for concern if she were here...them not eating could be their way of telling you they aren't pleased with what you are offering them, also if you have access to probiotics or yogurt with live cultures, see if you can get them to eat some, the good bacteria will help if there are any upsets in their gut that may be causing the decrease in appetite.

Keep watch on the 5 month olds temp, IF it goes any higher then she should be started on an antibiotic as soon as possible. Penicillan is still a good common one to work with.

12. goatskeeper

goatskeeper New Member

May 14, 2010
    Algeria
    1/ you mean 6 month old :)
    2/ do you mean if she were there, you will start antibiotics?

should i change something in the diet for example?

i have access to yogurt with bifidus (Bifidobacterium )

1/ if you had read this from a book/magazine please tell me.
    2/ would you explain a method how to let the goat eat this product.

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sorry...I did mean the 6 month old, her temp is higher than the other 2 goats,variables within a herd are normal but it's usually just a degree lower or higher...the normal range would be 101 to 103.5, the 6 month old is higher so I would be watching for an increase by taking her temp 2-3 times in 8 hours, if it increases then I would start her on an injectible antibiotic as the fever usually indicates she's fighting an infection.

The rumen is like a large vat for fermentation, it takes beneficial bacteria to help break down the food they eat. This link has great info on how the rumen works http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pa ... robes.html

My goats really like strawberry flavored yogurt and will eat it from a bowl, other ways to introduce it to not so co-operative goats is by a syringe without the needle( 10 cc or larger)

Goats can eat alot of the same grains as cattle, if there are cattle herds around you, see if they feed them any grains such as cracked corn or oats to add to your current mix...a little at a time if you can get these, too much can cause a gut upset.

14. goatskeeper

goatskeeper New Member

May 14, 2010
    Algeria
    in fact i am a poor man :greengrin: oats and corn are expensive here :) , i can provide mainly barley and wheat bran , and some times 2nd quality wheat.