The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep minerals and baking soda out for my goats but they don't seem to touch them. I know they will only eat the baking soda if they are having stomach issues but what about the minerals? Should I sprinkle some in their feed when I milk? Do they only eat minerals when they need them? I change them out every couple weeks just to keep them fresh. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
58,887 Posts
You really don't need to keep baking soda out. It certainly wouldn't hurt to put some minerals on their feed. Also just put a small amount out of minerals out for them until you see they are eating more. What brand of minerals are you using?

·
14,615 Posts
The key thing with minerals is they cake up in humidity& if it gets dirty at all they wont touch it. I had to switch to hand feeding. When it's fresh they go for it.
We use Onyx Right Now by Cargill.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Manna Pro is actually pretty good. It had as much copper as the minerals I was ordering from other companies like Hoeggers. I'm actually using it on my herd right now. But, like Nancy d said if any kind of free choice thing gets clumpy or dirty they won't want it.

·
4,499 Posts
I had a vet take some minerals in her hand and get it wet and feed it ... She said that they like it that way...? Certainly worth a try.
I use manna pro but need to refresh every so often

1 - 8 of 8 Posts