goats eat barn - help

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by moday, Nov 17, 2008.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Any idea what to do with goats eating my barn?

I build it from posts and perlins, but instead of metal, it was cost affective to use particle board and paint instead of metal siding.

Is there any paint or primer that they won't eat?

It's an 8 x 16 foot barn. Would regular plywood have lasted? It seems like the particle board allow them something that they can easily remove in flakes. Is metal the only way to go?

Please advise. Thanks
  2. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    We had the same problem with our goats. My husband had made them some tables to jump on he used particle board that had been left over from a project. Those goats thought it was a snack food. He eventually had to replace the tops of the tables with wood planks because I was afraid that it might have some kind of chemicals in it. They still try to chew on it but they cannot get any pieces off of them.

3. Candy

Candy New Member

I used metal and they kept butting their heads into it! :hair: I had to reinforce the outside with 2X6s to keep it somewhat square. It was one of those cheap sheds from Sears--but I learned my lesson. Next spring a wooden Pole shed. Someone told me to mix some cayeen pepper with water and spray on the particle board if I used that--sounded cruel so I never tried that
    Candy :sun:
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    great question... :) .you know my goats did the same thing...It is very frustrating... :hair:
    I know for horses that crib...we have put burnt motor oil.... on the area's being chewed.... and it works...I haven't tried it with the goaties yet though.... :scratch:
  5. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    my goats eat the barn too..... anything they can reach. Our barn is an old turkey barn, 80x100, split up into stalls. the side walls have a layer of insulation covered by particle board. First they ate through the 3/8 inch thick particle board, then ate through the insulation to the outer metal wall.

We finally had to staple-gun chick wire over the particle board and used batten strips/trim stapled on the seams so the goaties couldn't cut themselves in any way. A pain in the rear, but cheaper than replacing insulatiion & stall board periodically.

It just reinforces the fact that goats will eat anything :hair: