The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so today while currently sitting out in the pasture with the girls the unthinkable just happened. . . Yup my goat just ate something that is not part of any sort of diet on this world. I have a cheap foldable chair that I used in the field . Learned not to use my good one as they love to cuddle and rub all over me and the chair. If they let you a 100+ pound nubian will be in your lap wanting to be held. Needless to say one of the arm rests has been freed of the fabric. This left the metal and small black plastic cap that protects the open end of the metal pipe.

Never once in my life have I thought this would be a problem. Until about 10 minutes ago. Bambi was on my left getting petted and the old girl was on my right getting loven. I was of course looking more at my old girl since we have been trying to get her picked back up on grain consumption. I look over and notice bambi had knocked off the black plastic cap or so I thought. I look around the ground lecturing her she will poke an eye out without it. Still can't find it any where and notice. . . She isn't chewing on cud. Dear Lord she has it in her mouth . Now I tried the sweet hay girl give me that your not supposed to chew on plastic. To the sudden panic of open your mouth and give it to me now. This turned into a slow walking away from the chair and trying to get her to open her mouth. She started running from me. I tried walking faster and acting like I had treats and I am sure the neighbors got a good laugh watching this unfold. Needless to say bambi won and I shouted at her at least please chew it up good. Now she is just grazing and eating browse so surely she chewed it up good enough not to get it stuck any where in her system but oh my dear goodness never before in my life. In a two acre turnout and she wants a small plastic cap of all things on this green earth!

Anybody else ever have these issues before?

My very first goat was a pygmy to help clean the field at the old farm and I one day got a text from the husband that Ozzie ate a paper gasket and he seemed to of like it. These are the onky two times I have seen a goat eat random things.

·
Registered
*Gotta love ‘em kids!*
754 Posts
Oh, yes ours do stuff like that too! Paper towels, plastic bags, cardboard, wood, paint, the list goes on and on!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, yes ours do stuff like that too! Paper towels, plastic bags, cardboard, wood, paint, the list goes on and on!
Why do they have to do this to us? After over 10 years of having goats now I feel like I need to baby proof the fields now. If I carry a blanket to lay on they just pile up on me and don't graze/browse. But we love them even if they try to give us a heart attack.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Gosh I know what you mean. The majority of mine are not terrible, well except when I’m working them and I have my list of everyone to make sure everyone gets whatever it is I’m doing. I have learned to keep my list in my pants not my pocket where they can pull it out and eat half if before I can get it back lol but I have had a few insane goats over the years. One was obsessed with shredding and eating tarps. That was awesome since their shelter is one of those I close tarp like car ports. I had another that I thought was funny she was willing to try anything especially my husbands beer until the day she grabbed a mouth full of nails when I was building something. With was a flat out wrestling match to get them back. And of course I was worried she might have swallowed some and was flipping out until I came up with the idea to get the metal detector and scan the brat. But that was the STUPIDEST thing one of mine tried to eat. She wasn’t after a box that the nails might have been in, it was a plastic tote thing with nails in it!!! She purposely tried to eat the dang things.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gosh I know what you mean. The majority of mine are not terrible, well except when I’m working them and I have my list of everyone to make sure everyone gets whatever it is I’m doing. I have learned to keep my list in my pants not my pocket where they can pull it out and eat half if before I can get it back lol but I have had a few insane goats over the years. One was obsessed with shredding and eating tarps. That was awesome since their shelter is one of those I close tarp like car ports. I had another that I thought was funny she was willing to try anything especially my husbands beer until the day she grabbed a mouth full of nails when I was building something. With was a flat out wrestling match to get them back. And of course I was worried she might have swallowed some and was flipping out until I came up with the idea to get the metal detector and scan the brat. But that was the STUPIDEST thing one of mine tried to eat. She wasn’t after a box that the nails might have been in, it was a plastic tote thing with nails in it!!! She purposely tried to eat the dang things.
Oh love the metal detector idea!

They amaze me at times. The one that she the plastic cap had been stealing my notebook. I have been writing notes and ideas for our recent YouTube channel and she thinks it cuts into her mommy and bambi time. She normally pulls it out of my hands and tries to get in my lap. You have to love them right.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Yeah, but their most fave is to escape from their sleep pen early in the morning, and make it into the house. Once they are in there, the fish tank water is tasted, the chicken feed crumbs that fell in the morning are sucked up, and then they will come try pick the cusion buttons off.... and once they get shoood out, they will pee on the couch... just to retaliate...

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, but their most fave is to escape from their sleep pen early in the morning, and make it into the house. Once they are in there, the fish tank water is tasted, the chicken feed crumbs that fell in the morning are sucked up, and then they will come try pick the cusion buttons off.... and once they get shoood out, they will pee on the couch... just to retaliate...
Oh when I had a few bottle babies some years ago at the old farm they would come straight into the house even opening the refrigerator door. Had or used to have a hand towel on handle. They would pull it open for bottles. One had been trained to litter box and she would still pee in box before going back outside. They would get on the covered couch but amazingly never ate or damaged anything. They just knew that's where bottles came from lol.

Can't even imagine the fish tank water tasting good lol

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Oh when I had a few bottle babies some years ago at the old farm they would come straight into the house even opening the refrigerator door. Had or used to have a hand towel on handle. They would pull it open for bottles. One had been trained to litter box and she would still pee in box before going back outside. They would get on the covered couch but amazingly never ate or damaged anything. They just knew that's where bottles came from lol.

Can't even imagine the fish tank water tasting good lol
My fisnhies cant imagine goats looking good either... not from that angle... 🤣 but its like just a sip to make sure its the same as last time...

·
Premium Member
4,801 Posts

I have heard of old farmers giving cows a small magnet “bolus”.... to keep the hardware out of the wrong places in their rumen. Oye. Supposedly it works but dang these creatures! Lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts