Goats eating away sod?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Sundari, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Sundari

Sundari New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I've wanted goats for a long time (every since I read "The Year of Goat" - I loved that book). Coincidentally, I also want to rip out the sod in one of my yards for an expanded veggie garden.

So, can I put the two together? I want little goats --- a couple of Nigerian Dwarfs. Would they be able to eat the grass away, down to the root system? Or would they simply shear it, so the grass would continue to grow back again and again?

Many thanks,
    Sundari

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if you want to get an animal to do as you are thinking -- get sheep. Goats are not grasers, they are browsers. NOw a goat will eat grass, but not nearly to the ground as a sheep will. Mine actually dont touch it for some reason :shrug:

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    What Stacey said....goats eat more at their head height, browsing though some will browse on lush grasses, but they won't eat to the sod...sheep are a better bet if thats what you want.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I don't know if it's just my goats, but I had a little make shift pen for some weaned kids in our yard and they ate the grass right down, but didn't destroy it. Worked great. Maybe it's just my little goats though?? :shrug:

5. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    My goats have completely cleared lots of land for me. The only problem with it then is that they tend to pack the earth down hard so it takes some major tilling to get it into shape for a garden. Otherwise, if you put your goats in the spot where you want your garden for about a year they'll clear away all the grass and weeds and fertilize all at the same time.