Goats eating bark off trees

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Cali2013, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Cali2013

Cali2013 New Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Texas
    Now my 2 ND's are starting to strip the bark off 2 Mulberry trees and a fig tree. What can I do? I've tried spraying the trunk and limbs with ammonia/water mix and that may be doing the trick but what else can I do?

2. Catahoula

Catahoula New Member

You can put some sturdy fencing around the trees. Other than that, they will continue to eat the tree bark killing the trees.

3. Cali2013

Cali2013 New Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Texas
    Until I have the time to protect them with fencing is there anything I can put on the trunks to deter them? Anything from TSC? I'm hoping the ammonia/water mix is deterring them for now. I need to go check if more damage has been done.

4. Greybird

Greybird New Member

May 14, 2014
    Shelton, WA
    TSC sells 1/2" hardware cloth in rolls, or at least our local one does. 1" x 1/2" welded mesh is even stronger, but it's harder to work with and more expensive. I think they should have that too, though.
    I think if you fastened rolls of either of those around the tree up to above your goats' reach then that should stop them. Ideally you would want the metal mesh to have plenty of overlap so that you can loosen it as the trees get bigger.

Of course, they might decide that the wire mesh is a tasty treat all by itself. I don't think they could chew through it but they might lick it a lot. Who knows? Ya just never know with goats ... some seem to like the taste of metal.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yep they love the bark. I have put burlap on them.

6. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Mine have chick netting wrapped around them. It's cheap so I just replace it yearly.

7. Cali2013

Cali2013 New Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Texas
    Is that plastic? Or the hexagonal chicken wire? Trying to figure out what you're talking about.

8. Cali2013

Cali2013 New Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Texas
    They don't eat the burlap? I wonder if any kind of fabric would work. I do have fabric. Maybe I have something close to burlap.

9. Mars13

Mars13 New Member

Apr 10, 2014
    Memphis Metro
    Of course, they might decide that the wire mesh is a tasty treat all by itself. I don't think they could chew through it but they might lick it a lot. Who knows? Ya just never know with goats ... some seem to like the taste of metal.[/QUOTE]

Haha, so true. Ours seem to want to try everything. Also enjoyed reading your signature!

10. Hollowdweller

Hollowdweller Member

May 5, 2011
    They really love mulberry bark, also slippery elm.